Sister got engaged! Dealing with Peoples reactions...

So my little sister got engaged to her boyfriend of one year last night... :o

On the one hand, I could not be happier for her and am sooo excited for them! Her fiance (gasp!) is a great guy and fits in perfectly with our family. We all love him and and they are very happy and compatible together.

On the OTHER hand, they are very young to be getting married. My sister just turned 18 last month, and her fiance will not be 20 till next month, making him barely older than myself. They are planning on having the wedding next summer.

The engagement is not really a big surprise to my family, since they have talked about it and we all knew that it was just a matter of time. I have to admit I had hoped it would be later rather than sooner, just because everything is happening rather fast.

However whats done is done and I am not here to ask for judgment on their age or decision. As her sister I am going to be as supportive and loving as I can, and offer the best advice that I can give. But I'm not sure how to deal with peoples responses. I have only told a few of my friends here at my college, and so far the response has been "WOW! Yay! congrats!" And then I mention their age, and it turns to, "oh..." "wow..." or in one case, a flat out "they are too young"

Like I said, the age concerns me too. But it gets on my nerves a little when I see other people judge them based solely on their age. Is age an important factor? Yes of course it is. But it's not the only one, and I honestly think that they have a good chance at making it work for life.

Do you have any advice for how I respond to my friends reactions? Its tricky because I partly agree with them, but I also support my sister in her decision. And I don't want to be rude or anything with my friends.

Its tricky because I partly agree with them, but I also support my sister in her decision.

You answered your own question. This is what you say!

You "My sister is getting married."

Your friend "Wow! How exciting! I'm happy for her! How old is she?"

You "She's 18."

Your friend "Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... man, that's pretty young for getting married."

You "Yes, I agree, but I support my sister in her decision."

• Like 1

And if they keep going on and on about it, you just keep saying that. "I get what you are saying, but it's her life, and I support her in her decision."

• Author
You answered your own question. This is what you say!

You "My sister is getting married."

Your friend "Wow! How exciting! I'm happy for her! How old is she?"

You "She's 18."

Your friend "Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... man, that's pretty young for getting married."

You "Yes, I agree, but I support my sister in her decision."

Ahh you're right. Funny how sometimes we know the answer but need someone else to confirm it for us

• Like 1
todreaminblue
So my little sister got engaged to her boyfriend of one year last night... :o

On the one hand, I could not be happier for her and am sooo excited for them! Her fiance (gasp!) is a great guy and fits in perfectly with our family. We all love him and and they are very happy and compatible together.

On the OTHER hand, they are very young to be getting married. My sister just turned 18 last month, and her fiance will not be 20 till next month, making him barely older than myself. They are planning on having the wedding next summer.

The engagement is not really a big surprise to my family, since they have talked about it and we all knew that it was just a matter of time. I have to admit I had hoped it would be later rather than sooner, just because everything is happening rather fast.

However whats done is done and I am not here to ask for judgment on their age or decision. As her sister I am going to be as supportive and loving as I can, and offer the best advice that I can give. But I'm not sure how to deal with peoples responses. I have only told a few of my friends here at my college, and so far the response has been "WOW! Yay! congrats!" And then I mention their age, and it turns to, "oh..." "wow..." or in one case, a flat out "they are too young"

Like I said, the age concerns me too. But it gets on my nerves a little when I see other people judge them based solely on their age. Is age an important factor? Yes of course it is. But it's not the only one, and I honestly think that they have a good chance at making it work for life.

Do you have any advice for how I respond to my friends reactions? Its tricky because I partly agree with them, but I also support my sister in her decision. And I don't want to be rude or anything with my friends.

Say my sister is in love he makes her happy age isnt as important as finding love and happiness as long as they are legal.....you shouldnt have to defend your sisters choices actually at all a simple shrug shes happy im happy..... they are her choices, you be happy for her as you are a loving kind and mentally sound obviously sister.....dont let others take away your happiness for your sister....happiness is a treasure you know when you feel it for others...enjoy it ...love your sister and stuff everyone else they dont matter...you know yoru sistr better yoru opinion i can guarantee means more to her......than others who dont understand her happiness....wish your sister the best from me too...;0).......best wishes to ya ....deb

• Like 1