Ladies..She dosnt wear her engagement ring every day, should she??

My girlfreind and I have been together 10 years. We got engaged 5 years ago and plan to get married this fall. I bought her a very nice 2 carrot gold engagement ring 5 years ago. My question is that she dosnt wear it every day..but she wears other rings at times and wears it every time we go out. She is not cheating on me, I know for sure, and I understand not wearing it when your at home or other times that you might lose it or damage it. She has an office job, and she hasnt wore it at all this week. I ask her at times why she is not wearing it..and most of the time she says because her fingures are swollen..I understand or is it just an excuse? Like most men I feel she should wear it every day..as a symbol to others as to say yes im taken and i love him! I mean it cost me alot of money..at times i fill as if your not going to wear it..give it back?? So whats the deal..should this be an issue or am i just over reacting?? thanks_ Bobbyz

her fingers probably are swollen. The engagement ring may be smaller than her others, so she can still fit into the others not yours yet. does she seem bitter that it has been 5 years and still no wedding ring? or is it a mutual decsion to wait?

Offer to have it sized up so she can wear it even when her fingers are swollen. There are sizers that can be placed inside the band so that it doesn't fall off when her fingers are not swollen.

Some women don't wear their rings all the time, but it would bother me a bit.

I didn't wear my rings (engagement/wedding) all the time. I am a little surprised that she did not wear it all week to work, seems a little odd.

My initial engagement ring stone was mounted very high and the darn thing got caught on my clothing and I'd whack it against stuff. Finally had it set in a lower profile setting and I was much happier. Maybe you could ask her if she'd be happier with a different setting...

I could see if maybe she wasn't a big "ring wearer", that maybe she forgets from time to time, but you do say that she wears other rings. As for her fingers swelling, well geez, unless she's pregnant or has some kind of circulation/heart problem, how much could they swell? PMS can cause a little swelling once a month, it varies from woman to woman.....but I've never heard of PMS swelling be so severe that it causes the fingers to swell so much that it affects wearing a ring.

I think even though you asked her about it, you should sit down with her again...when you're both in a good mood with no distractions....and bring it up again....and tell her it concerns you that she went a week without wearing it..and that never before has she complained of swollen fingers. I mean, if her fingers are that swollen that she can't wear it, what about the other rings she wears? She obviously has no problem continuing to wear them.

Was the ring sized for her when you bought it?

• 6 months later...

Well I can tell you how much fingers can swell, quite a bit. A few months ago I spend $134 to have a couple of rings sized. They put those little things inside them so they can be taken out if fingers swell even more. Well, I can't wear the two rings now, won't even begin to go over the knuckles. boy am I depressed over this. I am not sure, but believe arthritis may be the culprit.

Good luck with your girl, but after 5 yrs of engagement and 10 yrs of knowing someone, i would be getting real discouraged. I can't understand why the long wait.

billybadass36

Dude, after I work out or if it's hotter than usual outside, my wrists totally swell up. So much so that I can't wear my watch. Weird, but true. Have the ring sized up a 1/2 a size. Ought to work.

Originally posted by jmargel

Got engaged five years ago? Wow, you have sure been milkin' the cow for quite some time. lol What's with that?

You're Funny! I like your quote! LOL!!!!!!!!!! :laugh::bunny:

It's summertime. Yes, fingers do swell in the heat. My ring feels different under the hot beating sun (tighter) than when I am in a cold AC room (it almost falls off!). Maybe wherever you live, it's been a really hot week. But maybe she (like someone else responded on here) is getting dicouraged. Why are you having a 5 year long engagement? Did you guys set a date yet? I don't know, but 15 years seems like an awfully long time to be with someone before you wed, unless you guys started dating at 10. Perhaps you guys should set a date to come soon and size her ring. Sizing a ring is never a problem. Go to a jeweler. Maybe you should be setting date before you run off to get her e-ring sized. :sick:

Thinking positively-

Ask her to try wearing it around her neck on a chain;

Recommend sizing again;

Talk about reasons why it's important to you;

Think about reasons why it's important to you;

Questions however-

5 year engagement- gracious... she may be harboring feelings about that alone!

5 year engagement- how do YOU feel about that?

Lastly, she may not be cheating, but she definitely isn't advertising you. If all of her friends and family know you, then there's less of a doubt factor, but:

BOTTOM line- you two have talking and listening to do, because an issue such as this just represents something else: your ability to come together with mutual understanding and mutual respect.

If you've loved her for ten years, you can make it happen, sir!

Best wishes.

Newly Engaged

Communication is the key.

You've set a date, so it's not like she's wondering "will we *ever* get married?"

OTOH, after 10 years she might be getting last minute jitters...

But if you can eliminate that, then perhaps it's not a big deal and her fingers are swollen. She might have put on a little weight in the last few years and the smaller ring makes her concious of it. That's not a good thing, as any girl can tell you.