Is she interested in me??

Recently I was in a hospital recovering from surgery and I met a physical therapist (very attractive) who helped me get back on my feet. I think she is single and I am single over 50. She even helped me take a shower. I met her again today and she was friendly and touched my arms. I am flattered and want to take her out, get to know her. She is very busy with work and I do not know her hours or phone. Should I call the facility? Try to run into her again at lunch (she eats with coworkers) or is this wishful thinking? She is 10 years younger, maybe more than me, but I look young for my years.

I have not dated in so long, am out of touch. Should I go slow?

Thanks for reading.

Go ahead and ask her, the worst she can do is say no. People are so afraid of rejection these days that they just don't ask, and the result is lots of lonely single people. You have nothing to lose, just find out her number and ring her. Do it today. : )

• Like 1

I can't tell you the how, but, yes ask her out. What's the worst that can happen? She says no. And you're in no worse place than you were before. Most of my regrets are things I have not done rather then things I have done.

• Like 1

Physiotherapists are registered with a professional body, and it will probably take a dim view of its members dating patients as it would be seen as unethical.

Also the hospital itself may have a policy which states staff members may not date patients, so do not be surprised if she says no.

Also she may just be being friendly, people who deal with the public all the time often put on this very friendly persona, it is all part of the job.

• Like 1
  • Author

I am not a patient any longer there but Elaine brings up a good point. So many times I have tried to see women and it turned out they were merely being nice, part of the job or toying with me. Last week Another girl told me to call her any time and when I did she had no time to talk or else my call went to voice mail. So I texted her.That's the story of my life. "Too Busy..." I am too old for her and I'm afraid I will be seen as too old for this woman--BTW she has 2 jobs and works 6 days a week. I always pick the wrong ones.

I think about sex all the time and it feels futile. I'd be happy to go shopping with her! Hang out. I have given up but my hormones won't.

I have not dated in so long, am out of touch.

apparently it's been so long that you've forgotten not to date or ask out people who get paid to be nice to you.

• Author

UPDATE:

I called her 3 times at work, left messages. She never returned the calls. She didn't know the reason for the call.

So that's it! As I expected, no deal. There is no reason for her to see me because ofour big age difference and the fact that she saw me in unflattering way in the hospital. I am in my sixties and she in fifties but she looks younger, so do I.

I wont bother with those who are paid to be nice and cordial

CautiouslyOptimistic
UPDATE:

I called her 3 times at work, left messages. She never returned the calls. She didn't know the reason for the call.

So that's it! As I expected, no deal. There is no reason for her to see me because ofour big age difference and the fact that she saw me in unflattering way in the hospital. I am in my sixties and she in fifties but she looks younger, so do I.

This is not surprising. Most physical therapists routinely have to touch their patients. Attempting to ask her out is just as inappropriate as if you'd attempted to ask your physician out.

I would never advise asking someone out whom you have been a patient of.

It's part of their job to be nice.

She is a therapist so even touching is part of her job, she won't be averse to it.

I suspect you would need medical referral to her or be currently under her care at least to contact her directly - hence why she hasn't responded.

I am single over 50.

I am in my sixties

Gosh, you sure did age a lot between those posts!

Joking aside, I agree with the first couple of replies more so than the later ones. So what if she's unlikely to say yes? Just ask anyway. It's not inappropriate as long as you gracefully take no for an answer and don't try again. Obviously you've already tried it, so I'd leave it at that.

Life's too short to concern yourself over whether someone might say no.

I think you could have given her a small token or card to thank her for helping you heal, and chitchat or even flirt a bit first, and take it from there. I was wondering how you left your messages (what did you say specifically?) Leaving one message would have been enough; two was already a stretch; three was definitely on the creepy side.

• Author

I simply left my name and phone. Actually, I have a question related to my condition, as well, She didn't know the reason for the call. I really think once a patient leaves their care, then they feel not obligated to return calls. The connection is severed. Maybe she is out of my league? My biggest pet peeve is people who do not return calls or pick up. I eat lunch occasionally in the same place.

That is probably a good rule of thumb. If somebody in a profession that is paid to be nice to you wants to take your interactions beyond, professional, they know enough to make the 1st move (this includes hospitality, food servers, bartenders, hairstylists, care givers etc.)

Glad you are on the mend. Maybe you will meet somebody at a holiday party.

• Like 1