How to navigate through the world of FWB

Lynnesmith9898

Lynnesmith9898

Hi there,

As per my previous posts, I've gotten out of a long-term relationship mess a couple months ago. I'm not looking for anything serious, but I recently met a guy online and we both are looking to hookup and have no intention of being serious.

See, this is the thing...we've hooked up three times in the week we met, but now he seems to be busy and doesn't really talk to me at all via text anymore. We were texting non-stop and excited to meet for a week before, but now that we've established a hookup thing, he's basically gone distant unless I text him.

I get that with FWB or FB situations, you normally don't chat all the time unless it's to get together for hooking up. However, he seems to make plans with me like a week in advance. But then when I text in between then for a sporadic hookup, he either has plans or last night he didn't even respond to me. Should he not have at least said that he was busy? Maybe he was with another girl? Is that how this works? I just need to know what I should be doing. Do I text him today to ask why he never responded? Or do I wait for him to text me to get together tomorrow (that we planned - not sure if it's still happening)?

Sorry...this is new territory for me. I assume he's probably dating or sleeping with other women. I guess I could do the same with other men, but I would prefer to just be sleeping with him. I know for sure that if emotions develop, then it's either gotta be talked about or ends.

Any advice or thoughts are welcome. Thanks!

foreverdancer

Sounds like you’re a bit too invested in him. He’s just a FWB, don’t take it seriously when he doesn’t seem interested in talking to you. He sounds like he’s not 100% interested for one reason or another - he might be dating someone else, hooking up with someone else, he could be busy, or he could have lost interest, etc.

Whatever the reason, absolutely do NOT contact him unless he does it first. Otherwise you’ll come off as desperate or needy. I think the best thing to do here would be to find another FWB who matches your level of interest.

It’s just FWB... don’t worry too much about things like that. It shouldn’t be personal. The “rule” is to just move on when you’re not getting what you want out of your FWB.

Scarlett.O'hara

Even if there were certain guidelines for a fwb/fb situation, it wouldn't give someone a free pass to be impolite and ignore you.

It is very clear how he views you and this arrangement. You will only be the backup option when he doesn't have another woman lined up. He is unlikely to put any effort into you, like he did prior to getting you in bed. And yes, he will sleeping with other women. You can bet on it.

I'm sorry if that sounds a bit blunt, but there is no point in sugar coating it because I think you risk getting hurt and left feeling like a free call girl for this loser. Even worse, you might start think this is all you deserve.

You may not be ready for a new relationship yet, which is fine, but you still deserve to be treated with consideration and politeness from someone you see casually.

You can do better.