My former FWB's dad passed

Cowgirlup86

About two years ago, I was on the outs of a ****ty marriage and in the process of meeting people (dating freaks me out), I fell into a small fling with a divorced man who traces for work, with two older kids, 9 years and 363 days my senior. Never met the kids. Long story short, he benched me.

Benched to the point where he seldom texts first, but sent his best friend/ room mate to work for me and has begun a very slow transition into our field. (I'm the boss)

We still exchange silly texts from time to time, he has a 2-3 minute response time. Once every couple of weeks.

His friend who works under me is a great dude: he told me from the start he 'knew there was history and would nevet do or say anything to jeopardize their friendship.' I agreed and promised yup never put him in any form of a situation. However, he did tell me a few weeks ago that his room mate's dad had entered hospice... I had known he wasn't doing well when we were a fling, so I sent him a text: "hey, Sam said you're going through

a lot, so I just wanted to send positive thoughts your way" he responded quickly, and said "Thank you, that means a lot" and I told him if he ever needed a beer and an ear to listen, it was on me. He never responded to that one, which is fine, it was open ended.

His dad passed away this past Monday.. I found out Tuesday from the friend who works with me... I was shocked, I even asked the friend what do I do text, but wound up just sending an "I'm so sorry, my heart is with your family" text.. he quickly responded, "thank you, that means more than you know." I didn't respond, I figured he had enough on his hands.

I won't lie: I do like him... a lot. I happily would have dated him, if he chose me.

Were my texts over the line? I feel like I'm safely in the friend zone...

I think since you have somewhat of a business or networking relationship, it's fine to send condolences, but I wouldn't have added the part about wanting to have a beer with him. He knows where to find you if he's ever interested again.

• Like 1

Your texts were fine. If he's interested, of course he'll try to read the tea leaves to see what your texts really meant.

Showing compassion after a death is never out of line. I had been broken up with a long term BF when his father died. I sent a card because I had loved his father. (I was told not to attend the service or I would have gone). When my parents passed certain EXs send condolences.