Struggling to move on from a non-relationship?

I told a close friend I wanted more and he turned me down. At the time even when I told him I had not been 1000% sure as the physical chemistry had always been lacking. But somehow despite that a very deep friendship and love grew. I was upset when he turned me down because I was amazed I had read the signals so wrong, but the upset has now grown to devastation because I have lost such an important person in my life. After my family he was number 1 and this was the same for him. In fact I was on par with his family, he was always calling me first with big news then his family. Quite some time has now passed and I just cannot get over him. I have walked away as this is the only way I know how to get over a guy, he sometimes sends me messages and it takes me right back to the gut twisting feelings and any progress I have made just disappears the minute I see his name come up on my cell. I have never known heartbreak like this, even after the end of my last long term relationship. I just don't know what to do about this. Getting over him is seeming impossible, I had so much less pain getting over the guy I was with you a couple years. But I feel I cannot talk to anybody about how much this is hitting me and I am even getting mad at myself. This was not a relationship. We never had sex, so how can I feel this way and how do I get over this?

Well, you said yourself you need to be away to even try to get over him, so you need to block him or ask him not to contact you anymore. Then you have to get busy going out with friends and doing fun things or anything you enjoy, but get out of the house and do it and keep doing it. You have to make new memories and open new doors to move on, and only staying busy will force you to not focus on him. Also, get some regular sweat and exercise so it doesn't take a permanent toll on your body. Sorry, I know it's hard, but it's time for self-discipline now. If you don't want to stay miserable, you have to keep putting one foot in front of the other and resolve not to focus on him anymore and stop yourself from doing it. Good luck.

• Like 1