Male close friend.

Ok, so I have been friends with him for over 20 years. It started as a business relationship as he was one of my clients and it has gone on from there.

We have both been married before and had other relationships etc.

When I was going through my divorce years ago he always rang/came to see me at work. Even now he's always there if I need to talk and vice versa.

He has always said that I am the only woman he trusts and has even given me his credit card to buy concert tickets also that I will be in his life forever!!!

He has also mentioned that we will get married in our sixties (yikes I'm still in my 40's).

If we meet for coffee he always comes to where I am. This is his choice and not mine.

His close friend said he holds me in high esteem and recently referred to me as his wife!!!

I have been single now for nearly a year and him for a few years.

I am so confused as I don't know what to do. I've been told I should tell him how I feel as a negative reaction would crush me

I don't know if I'm reading too much into this????

Help I'm totally confused and it is eating me up

Well, maybe that crack about marrying in your sixties is because if he can, he plans to play the field until he's too old to and feels he must marry someone for going into old age. But you should just date around if possible and not do anything foolish like waiting for him. You've known each other 20 years and it it may just be friendship because seems like something would have happened before now. So date around and see him when possible and I would think at some point if he had any romantic intentions, he'd make a move.