Is it a date, or an unrequited crush?

I've had a crush on a girl I work with for around 10 years. We're what you'd call acquaintances. We work for a huge company and don't see each other all the time. When we do, we both smile and say hello but that's it. We're also friends on Facebook and occasionally like and comment on each other's posts. We've never seen each other outside of the office.

A few months back, I was traveling to an office in another country and I saw a girl on the street who looked like her. The next day, she walks up to me in the office and says "I thought I saw you yesterday!". We chatted for a bit and went on our way.

Fast forward to last week and she posts a picture on Facebook of one of the sights of the city she's in. I commented that I was jealous and I couldn't wait to go back there since I had a trip planned. She replies telling me to let her know when I'm coming back.

After booking my flights and nailing down my dates, I emailed her. I told her when I'd be there and asked her to go out to dinner with me. She immediately agreed, and suggested the day I arrive or the day after to go to dinner. I then asked if she had any suggestions. She suggested we go to dinner near her apartment or we go on a scenic beach walk and figure out dinner along the way.

Clearly, I wanted to spend more time with her and a romantic walk on the beach sounded pretty awesome so I chose that.

I couldn't tell if she was just being friendly and wants to show a coworker a good time in a new country or if she's interested in me. This "date" is a few weeks out so I figure if it's a date, I should make sure I'm fresh on her mind. A couple days after the "date" was setup, I contacted her over chat. We chatted for like 10 minutes and out of nowhere she cuts me off and says she has to get back to work. I said "no problem" and left her alone.

That was a few days ago and I haven't talked to her since.

Is this a date? Or am I just going on a stroll and dinner with a coworker? Any advice on how to handle communication between now and then? Any tips on how to act on the date? Do I let her make crystal clear advances or do I take the lead?

I think she was probably just showing a coworker a good time, sadly. It would take a lot for a woman to cut a guy off like that if she was thinking romantically about him. I mean, yes, maybe she had something she had to get off the chat for, but if so and she really liked and was interested in you romantically, she'd have contacted you later and said "So sorry, I wanted to keep talking, but had to go," you know, like a big profuse apology leaving no room for doubt. I'm afraid it's just an employee thing. So don't do anything else to freak her out between now and then and just act polite and not romantic when the time comes.

• Author
My question is how far apart are you, for LDR do not work well.

We are from the same home office. She is just on temporary assignment for the next few months. So if this was to go anywhere it would be LDR for only a month or two.