what is friends with benefits

I do not have much experience and I do not know anyone who does. Is it 2 regular friends who sleep together? I am a little bit surprised with how much I have read about it on this website but I have never heard about it outside of the internet.

It's when two people, or even just one person wants NOT to be committed, but they want to have sex with each other. They sometimes talk outside of sex or do things together like friends do, as well. There are no "ILY's" being said or any other mushy feelings being expressed. There is no expectation of having a future together.

What does not commited mean? It means at any time you could pull the plug on the sex, and you are both free to see other people.

I think it's a myth.

In all seriousness though I'd guess it to be somewhat rare. By literal definition it's when two people are already friends and everything that a friendship entails, and they start sleeping together but are not in a relationship. No wait that would actually probably make it very common.

What is probably very rare is when two genuine friends start sleeping together but neither is in love with or having romantic feelings for the other. Even that confuses me, though, because I used to think that being close like friends but also having sexual chemistry was what romance is. Now I don't even know anymore.

It's taken me a couple dumb endeavors to draw the conclusion, but I also don't think people get to really like, go out and get a FWB. Because friendship has to develop naturally over time. Whereas any two people can choose to **** each other right then and there, right off the bat. And I think even trying to get a FWB thing going with a stranger might just be super naive. Anyone who claims to want a friend and is willing to talk with you for a couple hours can then get in your pants, I guess. Might as well just try to make friends in general and then hope that one of them happens to be single and thinks you're ****able.

But then there are F-Buddies, as in **** buddies, no friendship in the formula. I guess it's that or actual dating for most people.

It's an open slang term for people who have uncommitted sex with each other.

In the most conventional sense, it's two people who are friends, know each other, hang out, whatever who fall into bed together to get a mutual physical release with no emotional attachment.

Some people just attach that label to anybody they are having non-committed sex with. It's rarely exclusive. Nobody says mushy stuff. Booty calls are par for the course.

It's basically a guy who has no intention of falling in love or making any commitment convincing a woman to sleep with him anyway. If you're already friends with them, then it's neither of you want to be together (which makes no sense if you're friends) but don't mind sleeping together. Usually, only the men are happy in this arrangement and the women hope it will lead to something. It won't. It's just you're agreeing to sex with him taking no responsibility.

It's basically two people that enjoy having sex with each other but don't have any interest in a relationship with the other.

The girl I'm sleeping with has clearly stated that she really likes having sex with me, but doesn't want to date me at all. I'm sure she's going out on dates with other guys but that's not really my concern. I should be going out on dates with other girls, but that's a different matter :p

While we are friends there is a certain amount of separation between our lives.

But doesn't it bother you that she doesn't think you're a keeper? I mean, yes, I have had an unofficial FWB but the reason it was is because he was so irresponsible in every way, a walking disaster, that most sane women didn't want to keep him or even have him hanging around much. The one who did grew up taking care of addict parents. And that didn't last either. It's insulting if someone considers you screwable but doesn't respect you enough to want you around -- or it should be.

• Author
I think it's a myth.

In all seriousness though I'd guess it to be somewhat rare. By literal definition it's when two people are already friends and everything that a friendship entails, and they start sleeping together but are not in a relationship. No wait that would actually probably make it very common.

What is probably very rare is when two genuine friends start sleeping together but neither is in love with or having romantic feelings for the other. Even that confuses me, though, because I used to think that being close like friends but also having sexual chemistry was what romance is. Now I don't even know anymore.

It's taken me a couple dumb endeavors to draw the conclusion, but I also don't think people get to really like, go out and get a FWB. Because friendship has to develop naturally over time. Whereas any two people can choose to **** each other right then and there, right off the bat. And I think even trying to get a FWB thing going with a stranger might just be super naive. Anyone who claims to want a friend and is willing to talk with you for a couple hours can then get in your pants, I guess. Might as well just try to make friends in general and then hope that one of them happens to be single and thinks you're ****able.

But then there are F-Buddies, as in **** buddies, no friendship in the formula. I guess it's that or actual dating for most people.

Isn't that how dating starts?

But doesn't it bother you that she doesn't think you're a keeper? I mean, yes, I have had an unofficial FWB but the reason it was is because he was so irresponsible in every way, a walking disaster, that most sane women didn't want to keep him or even have him hanging around much. The one who did grew up taking care of addict parents. And that didn't last either. It's insulting if someone considers you screwable but doesn't respect you enough to want you around -- or it should be.

Nah, it really doesn't bother me. We are different people looking for different things.

Also I know that I'm not in a good place right now to have an actual girlfriend. For now I'm happy with having lots of sex :)

Yeah it is two friends who hang out and make the beast with two backs.

I'm the same as somedude81, not in a position to date right now and don't think it's fair to be offloading my issues onto someone else. But I have needs, and this guy meets them.

There's a wide variety of reasons I wouldn't date my fwb - he's no concept of monogamy and he's flaky - but we have a good laugh, he's enjoyably good-looking and a decent cook (always hang out with Italians, they feed you well). When I met him I'd been going through a serious drought and he made me feel attractive again. For now, it's enough.

I can't stress enough the importance of discussing STDs and the like however - early on we had an argument about this, but he was good, and agreed to be tested. You can sleep around, but it's selfish and immature not to be safe about it.