She might have a boyfriend, how to proceed?

There's a girl who I've sat next to in my physics class since last year, and since then we have become pretty friendly. I don't see her much outside of the class, except for occasionally during lunch. I was in a long-distance relationship up until a little while ago, but I just realized yesterday that I was falling in love with her. The problem is that I have no idea if she has a boyfriend or not; I don't think she's ever mentioned anyone, but I may have just forgotten. I was paying attention to her today, and she was texting someone and smiling a lot, but I'm not sure if this means she's taken, or just talking to her friends... I also used to have a picture of my old gf as my phone's lock screen, and I'm pretty sure she's seen it, so she may think I'm not available.

Does anyone have any advice they could give me? Should I ask her directly, or take a more roundabout approach?

Thanks

Edited by voxzorz

Invite her for coffee. If she says 'no thanks', then maybe you could ask something like, "Should I ask you some other time, or are you just not available?"

And then, whatever answer she gives, just take it as her final answer...and move on...or invite her for coffee some other time.

Ask her to study with you. While studying, ask what her BF's major is. She may answer you to tell you that she doesn't have one.

Oh good Lord, just ask her out on a proper date, flirt and banter with her.

As contradictory as it may sound to you, it's really none of your business if she has a BF or not at this point. Your job is to make your interest and your intentions known and to initiate the first date. If she has a BF and she wants to remain exclusive to that relationship, then it's her job to decline your invitation and it's up to her to declare if she has a BF or not.

If you are interested in a young lady, ask her out.

Even if she is dating someone at the moment, for all you know she may be looking for an excuse to ditch him and try someone else on for size. You might as well be that someone else.

The lessen I didn't learn until my upper 20s was the best looking women are never completely free and single. They are always seeing someone to one degree or another and when they get tired of the one they're with, they will monkey swing to the next one in the blink of an eye with no down-time in between. If you aren't the one right there making the best offer at the time they monkey-swing you will be watching from the sidelines kicking yourself in they ass that you missed your opportunity.

• Author

I think I'll go with the studying thing, and then if that goes well, semi is pretty soon, so I'll ask her to that. Thanks for the help guys.

^_^