Messed up the only chance she ever had.

Miss Blushs

I and my bff (3 years college frnds) are on job hunt. Her parents want her to get into a government firm and provide her the coaching facilities. My parents don’t like the course I have taken up. My friend has got in touch with a person who can refer us for a company, so that we can attend the interview. Her parents don’t want her to be in this field but approved her to give it a shot. Because our parents are the ones who are paying the bills for us, we did ask their approval. I never thought of going to that new city because the cost of living is too high.

She got that one opportunity and she even asked that person to refer me for attending the company’s interview. I told I would never do anything but developer job. I would even take up customer service jobs. I have 7.6 and she has 6.3 aggregates in our courses. I recently attend an interview for a company which very famous. IT’s not developer. I got through the interview and package is not so high but I could save a lot if I stayed at my place.

Now she is very upset and doesn’t want to talk to me because she thinks I

ruined her opportunity to get a software job. I was being selfish because my parents constant nagging and they didn’t want to support my finances. I don’t want to leave this opportunity and I am going to take it. She wanted to be together and work in the same firm. Even though in college she never showed an interest in that kind of jobs now she wants to get into the IT firm. Blames me for the ruins her only chance to get into this and now she stuck trying for the govt jobs which might take longer time to get through.

She won’t talk in our college group chats if I were there.

I want to clear things but I have to courage to talk. I think I m being selfish but being together and moving to a new city is difficult. I don’t have a clue what to do!

Well, lots of issues here. First of all, there aren't too many companies that are anxious to have to BFFs working side by side because they know it will be all talk and no work and ganging up on other people and one gets mad if the other one gets in trouble, etc. So just hypothetically, if you went to an interview and said you have a friend who would also like to apply for the job, it would probably count against you. It's like taking your kid to the interview or using your iPhone during the interview. It's unprofessional. Getting any friends in under the same roof should happen quietly and not in the same department, if at all.

We had it going on where I work and I can't think of one instance in which it hasn't caused problems when it came time to fire someone. In one case, a girl who works close to the boss got her best friend in there. Her best friend, unlike the original worker, was a total loser, fell asleep at her desk, was sullen all the time and would get up and leave to go run and tell her friend if anyone tried to give her any guidance how to do her job. It was a big political quagmire when the boss finally had to fire her.

And then of course, you know very well the other problem with working with your friends, and that is what is going on with you ending up with a better shot at the job than her and her getting mad and feeling you betrayed her. The honorable thing would be to not accept the job and vow to never ever work together or refer each other to interviews or jobs again.

If you did end up both getting hired, somewhere down the road one of you would be mad at the other for getting a promotion or raise they didn't get and both of you would be a problem for the supervisor when he wanted to move you around or get rid of one of you.

You two should stay out of each other's business job hunting. What you do about your parents controlling things is get a job, make money, and move out asap. And that you two can do together once you're both employed.