I like my guy friend.. he used to like me.. now he has a gf :/

We have somewhat of a past/connection. Lets call him M.

Back story - we met 4 years ago when I was 20 and we became friends, but he really liked me. I blew him off in a playful way because he was 2 years younger, and at the time, it seemed like a big difference, and I thought he was a little too crazy for me... but we still were friendly. We have a big group of mutual friends. I liked his friend a few months later, and told M about it, and he talked to him and set us up, and he became my boyfriend. He seemed very happy for me and my boyfriend, but when we started having problems, I would open up to M about it and he would comfort me. At one point, my boyfriend really upset me on my birthday, and I talked to M.. and he confesssed that he was in love with me, and only set me up with my boyfriend to see me happy, and his parents (who love me) told him he was such an idiot for doing that and he regretted it. Since then, we have always remained friends and what not, but when he went to college we talked a bit less because we didn't see eachother as often. However, we would always somehow talk or meet eachother at random events. He has joked all these years that I am the girl he is going to marry and one day I will "change" and we will date and fall in love, and I would basically just laugh it off and say he was crazy. His parents believe (to this day) 100% that he should marry me. (I'm not rushing things, obviously, or saying thats definitely what I want... but I'm just giving some background info).

There is always a weird connection between us that I could never really describe, even when we wouldn't talk for a few months. I wrote him a letter when he was in basic training camp last summer, and he wrote me back how happy he was to hear from me and how it was so strange because he thought of me the other day. Somehow, after all the boyfriends I have, I always go back to thinking about him and wondering what could be.

We BOTH have dated various other people throughout these past 4 years. He's had a girlfriend for the past year, his most serious relationship. He seems very happy with her.. but once again, I'm at a point where I am thinking about him. Its strange, because like he used to tell me, I feel like I've grown up and realized that I want to be with him. Just to be clear, I am NOT looking for advice on how to break them up.

Am I crazy? Should I just let fate take its course? I guess I'm just trying to figure out what to do with these feelings. Need advice...

I think you have to tell him. He is in love with you and now you keep thinking of him. I would tell him and let him decide what he wants to do. He may seem happy with his gf but maybe she is just a distraction from you.

If I were him and found out years later, maybe after being married and having kids, what you are saying on this board, I would be so sad that you didn't tell me so we could see where it went.

• 7 months later...
  • Author

A long overdue response but a much needed one - oddly enough, I saw him this weekend at at wedding. We haven't seen each other or spoken in months, but we talked a lot and it was nice. He broke up with his girlfriend! And now he seems interested again. I hate to say it, but I'm pleased - yet cautious. I still don't know if I really want this to go anywhere, and usually when I have that feeling, the relationship never winds up working out!!!! but I still have an intrigue. I don't know what to think now! :confused:

Well, he keeps popping into your life eh?! I think you have to work out if you would regret not giving it a go with him? I think by the sounds of it you would. What do you have to lose?;)

Vote Pedro

I agree with what has been said. You should express your feelings to him, even if you're having doubts. He will want to now. Go for it! :cool:

weonlinedating

I think he loves you, and you should be tell him your feelings of him, if you both are love each other so why are you being confused, Just tell him about your feeling because until you will not tell him about your feeling until then your problem will not solve. So you must be go and talk to him. :cool:

Just let him know how you feel. so you'll how he fells for you.. It's very hard that you both like each other but you end up being with someone else because no one had the courage to make things work for both of you.. If you tell him and he is very sure that she loves her gf more, then let them be, at least he knows after..

• 3 weeks later...
  • Author

Thanks everyone for the advice! He is really pursuing me, but I haven't given in yet. I really hate when this happens... I have an interest and suddenly when they are available, I'm not sure its there anymore. I think I'm just afraid to take a chance, and also that my family will not approve.

I just don't think I want a relationship right now, and I don't think he does either. But, I do want to hang out with him, and see him. It used to be so fun and lighthearted between us when we were younger. I just want that again. So confused. I will keep you posted!