Illnesses and Relationships

So my issue is a difficult one. I love my boyfriend very much, and I would say he is my best friend. He is 37 and has had type 1 diabetes for 10 years. He also suffers from other illnesses related to the diabetes. Lately his illness has gotten worse and he has such a morbid attitude about all of it. It kills me that he takes his health so lightly, I can't even fathom something happening to him. We have been together for about a year and good friends for years before that. However, lately it seems to have gotten a little rocky. He isn't taking good care of himself and is using the defense mechanism of pushing me away every time I try to talk to him about it. Our sex life and relationship is suffering and I don't know what to do. We don't do much together anymore because he is sick so frequently. I know he is scared I'm going to walk away and to be honest sometimes I want to. I don't know how to get through to him. I love him and need help !!!

TaraMaiden

You write him a letter, and give him an ultimatum:

You tell him you care deeply about him, and want to be with him, but if he won't see that his condition needs care and attention, there is nothing on the planet than compels you to stand around and watch him deteriorate and maybe even die.

You didn't sign up for that.

so you can either face his illness together and help him get better and fitter - or he can do this without you, because you're not prepared to stand by helpless while he slowly kills himself.

His choice, his decision.

Tell him to think about it, make it and let you know.

But you'd better be ready to stick to your guns, because right now, I don't know that there's anything else you CAN do.