She wants to stay single, what does that mean?

So I've known my friend for a good 2-3 years now and I know she was interested in me in the past, but I chose to go out with her not so close friend. She started going out with another guy when I became single so I have been in a few relationships since.

We hang out a lot, but so do another small number of guy friends.

Now, she is single and I was talking to her to find clues if she was still interested and she said she wants to stay single, but date because it's the best of both worlds. I've talked with some of her friends and they say it's obvious I like her, but she's clueless about it.

Does this mean I should ask her out? Or should I wait when someone else can potentially ask her out first. Personally, I feel like she's lost the interest, but we've remained close friends.

LucreziaBorgia

You can ask, but generally speaking when someone tells you to your face that they like being single it is a pretty good indication that they aren't interested in a relationship. She did mention that she liked to date, but it could well be that she likes having guys spend money on her without her having to do anything reciprocal.

"She wants to stay single" = she's not interested in a relationship with you and wants you to know that up front.

Next.

"She wants to stay single" = she's not interested in a relationship with you and wants you to know that up front.

Next.

Quoted for good measure with the important part bolded and underlined.

She wants to stay single, what does that mean?

It means, she wants to stay SINGLE (Only if you want her). For she has no interest in you.

I can gaurantee that if an "Alpha Barbarian" rolls up on her - she'd be happy to "UN-Single" herself rather quickly.

Don't stick around "as a friend" just let this lady go.

*Nothing is worse then seeing a woman (who's told you they want to stay single) who you "really like" turn around shortly afterwards and get with someone else in a "Serious Relationship".

• Author

Well I guess its time to cry myself to sleep again. I don't suppose it means anything if she suggested I do the same and remain single while dating does it?

Dude,

What is going to happen when "I want to stay single" turns into "meet my new boyfriend" over night & it isn't you?

You're gonna get pissed & bail.

If some chick asked me to stay single because she "just wants to be friends" i'd get pissed & bail.

Seriously?

She doesn't want you but doesn't want anyone else to have you?

It actually sounds really selfish of her.

All it means when she doesn't want you dating is the fact that she doesn't want to lose your attention. She could care less about you as a person, she just doesn't want some other girl being the target of your attention. She wants your attention all to herself. God forbid if you find someone that makes you happy and she cares about you as you do about her. That wouldn't fit this little attention whore's plans.

We've all seen this before. We can all, without doubt, tell you that in a short time she will introduce you to her new boyfriend. Or she'll all of a sudden go cold, and you'll find out through other sources that she's dating someone.

Climb down from the sand castle you've built in the sky and see the reality of the situation. Once you've done that, burn the pedestal you've put her on. Put her on the same level as you.

• Author

This is all sound logic I wouldn't have thought of on my own. Unfortunately, I was trying to deny a painful situation between three people. Now that I think of it I'm also pissed and I need to bail.

All of this is very sound advice. Thanks