Language Barrier.

I speak english and girlfriend speaks english and spanish.

This year my girlfriend wants to go by her family for Thanksgiving the problem that I have with that is her family barely speaks English. There are times that Im there and the most thing said to me is "Hi", "okay", in English. So for 2 to 3 hours Im trying to entertaining myself. Yes, from time to my girlfriend will talk with me etc. but I don't really get to enjoy everyones presence. I told her it makes me uncomfortable sometimes when Im around her family but she doesn't know what she can do.

Somebody help me please!!!

Edited by donnist

It can be intimidating to be around a bunch of people speaking another language. I feel you. I do think, however, that it means a lot to your girlfriend for you to be there with her and her family, even if it makes you feel uncomfortable. So you will earn some major points.

Do you know any Spanish? If you tried to learn a little and tried to communicate I am sure her family would appreciate the effort. It shows that you are willing to humble yourself to communicate with them.

Also let your GF know that you would appreciate if she would check in with you often as there is a language barrier and you need a little extra attention.