....Comes around.

I keep seeing this comment everywhere, and other posts occasionally mentioning that 'It's his' - or her - 'Karma'.

Now, I know that these phrases have fallen into common parlance, but I have to say they are usually mentioned by people who actually don't have a clue as to what Karma is, or what it does.

Karma is a result. It's a process. It's not critical, evaluative or judgemental. It just is.

It comes to us as a result of everything we think. That's all.

Everything we say and do, is as a result of a thinking process, a decision. everything we say and do is as a result of our having taken the decision to say or do that thing, so Karma is the consequence of our thought processes.

The is one of the oldest teachings from the Buddha, and one of the most fundamental buddhist scriptures there is.

The very first verse reads thus:

Mind is the forerunner of (all evil) states. Mind is chief; mind-made are they. If one speaks or acts with wicked mind, suffering follows one, even as the wheel follows the hoof of the draught-ox.

Mind is the forerunner of (all good) states. Mind is chief; mind-made are they. If one speaks or acts with pure mind, AFFECTION follows one, even as one's shadow that never leaves.

karma is roughly, what you get for what you think.

It could be actions from a previous Life, but it could be from this one as well, so there's no telling when the consequences of what you think/say/do will come back to you.

This is why Buddhhism is about Training the Mind.

because if we train the Mind, we bring it under our control.

And if we bring it under our control, we can determine far better, what kind of Karma we'll get.

And before anyone protests that they already DO control their own mind - how many posts do we have here from people who claim for whatever reason, that whatever they're doing, they can't help it...... It just happened...... they can't stop themselves......

It's not true.

They just chose not to.

Oh yes, it is a choice.

It's always a choice.

but it takes training.

Stop thinking.

Empty your Mind.

Of any thought at all.

Now keep it up.

Hard, isn't it?

See....It takes training......

You train the Mind to follow a certain directive.

That's how you cut down on bad Karma, and perpetuate Good karma.

It's down to you.

karma does nothing.

You do it all.

• Author

In a way yes. It becomes self-fulfilling the minute we think one way or the other.

Somebody crashes your car.

You leap out, in a rage, yel blue murder at the other driver, kick and scream and threaten them with every law-suit going and promise them a headache they'll never forget.

Oooooh, that's a mean one. Baaaad karma.

Stop.

Take a deep breath. give yourself a second - then -

You leap out, rush to their window and make sure they're ok, say that don't worry, the insurance will take care of it, but at least you're both ok, no bones broken, and these things happen.

Ooooh, that was much better! Gooood Karma!

It takes an instant of thought to change how you are.

Your emotions are not WHO you are. Your thoughts are transitory, and can be changed.

That's what 'changing your mind' means.

Altering the consequences.

In a way yes. It becomes self-fulfilling the minute we think one way or the other.

You leap out, in a rage, yel blue murder at the other driver, kick and scream and threaten them with every law-suit going and promise them a headache they'll never forget.

Oooooh, that's a mean one. Baaaad karma.

Stop.

Take a deep breath. give yourself a second - then -

You leap out, rush to their window and make sure they're ok, say that don't worry, the insurance will take care of it, but at least you're both ok, no bones broken, and these things happen.

Ooooh, that was much better! Gooood Karma!

It takes an instant of thought to change how you are.

Your emotions are not WHO you are. Your thoughts are transitory, and can be changed.

That's what 'changing your mind' means.

Altering the consequences.

You know, I believe this.

I'm one of those people that seems to have lots of good karma. God knows, I don't deserve it (based on the way I've treated certain people in the past, my ex in particular). But when bad things happen, I generally let it slide (I'm not talking about problems in my R - that I like to wallow in for days). However, when I run into personal "collisions" I take it with a grain of salt and it rarely comes to bite me back.

Now if only I could apply this to my romantic life.

EDIT: KNOCK ON WOOD.

• Author
You know, I believe this.

I'm one of those people that seems to have lots of good karma. God knows, I don't deserve it

That tickled me.

Karma and God, bedfellows in one post!! :)

• Author

oh, I guess so....think you just did....!;)

Thanks for your input. Nice to get another religion's perspective.

In Paganism, we believe in what we call the Rule of Three - that whatever you put out there, will come back to you three times multiplied.

So, if you are thinking negative thoughts or sending mean vibes, expect that to come to you, only worse. Same if you are sending out positive energy.

I think a lot of religions believe this, they just cloak it in different ways.

• Author

Yes, I can see that.... and from a practical perspective, the reason it's viewed as three times multiplied, is because when it's bad, we see it as more unjust towards us than anything we could possibly have done to anyone else (!)

Mind you, when things are going great for us, we don't have any tendency to think about Karma, or just desserts at all.... we forget we get given good stuff, because we feel by rights it should always be this way......

so when the sh - t hits the fan, it's more "woe is me, why me?".....

Despite being a Christian, when someone does me wrong I usually say "Let their Karma take care of them!", mostly because I choose not to waste my resources on anger and hatred. I don't know if that's right or wrong, but I've seen it in action. My Ex caused herself more grief and pain than I could have if I filled my heart with every evil intention that I could think of. Sometimes, I still feel sorry for her when I see what she's done to herself... (No, I don't want her back!).

Am I correct in assuming that Karma is more about how the choices we make affect our lives than what happens to others?

Karma is a result. It's a process. It's not critical, evaluative or judgemental. It just is.
Would The Law of Cause-and-Effect be a synonymous term in your opinion?
  • Author

One Buddhist sutra states:"If you want to understand the causes that existed in the past, look at the results as they are manifested in the present. And if you want to understand what results will be manifested in the future, look at the causes that exist in the present."

We, in the West, like to think that Karma is a simple matter of cause and effect but Eastern thought cannot be translated in such simple terms. Karma difficult for any of us to understand. I'm glad Geishawhelk brought up this subject, I'm glad someone is discussing it beyond it's pop-culture understanding.:D

• Author

The big thing is, that an awful lot of people who don't understand it (and that's ok, there's no reason why they should - it's not a criticism, it's an observation.....!) are of the opinion, or under the mistaken impression that Karma is some sort of judgement, a retribution for deeds done....

It's not like slapping someone in the face, and they'll slap you back.... the revenge slap is not the kamma, because there is actually no guarantee that the person is going to slap you back.... no, your kamma is the effect of having enacted the slap in the first place..... it arouses your anger, it's a loss of control...it's the penalty you pay for not thinking in the way you should have.....

[sorry, I should add, that 'Karma' is the Sanskrit language term, and 'Kamma' is the Pali language term. It depends on which tradition of Buddhism you follow...In the West, 'Karma' is the better-known term.]

If you are in a provocative, potentially hostile situation, how you deal with it right there and then, is what will bring the Kamma you will get..... What your thoughts on the subject, are, what you decide to do, how you decide to follow through....that's the point, right there, where you can generate Good Kamma, or 'bad' Kamma. By what you decide to do... whatever's happening around you, is not happening to you because it's your kamma. The whole Law of Kamma is too complex and convoluted to understand in such simplistic terms.... You. You make your Kamma. Nobody else does.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: It all begins in your head, with what you tell yourself.