misrep and using fake pic on dating site

joel

my friend wants to now if you can get charged or go to jail if you misrepresent yourself on a dating site-this being plentyoffish.com.

meaning he says hes 6 feet tall when he is really 5 6 and also using a fake pic he stole from someone in England(who is better looking than he is). he will also agree to meet this girl for coffee-ofc she will think that its the guy in the pic, but in reality shes not.

when she find out its not him -can he get charged or go to jail for misrep or fraud. hes wonderin. i don't think so, but just asking. when she shows up, he'll just say oh my friend didn't want to come, so i came instead or jsut say nothing meet up with the girl as if nothing did occur

so is it legal or not .

where can you find this out? if its legal or illegal.

I doubt that anyone would take the effort to sue him for misrepresentation, legal or not. Obviously he is a loser if he has to lie on a dating site, and suing a loser usually gains a person nothing but legal bills and a lot of time.

No he can't go to jail unless he bilks women out of money..

No he can't be sued ( well I guess he could be but it wouldn't go anywhere in court )..

there are no damages.. so there is nothing to be gained by a lawsuit...

By the way.. your friend is an idiot..

Not ONE girl will talk to him after meeting him.. Not ONE...

Misrepresenting himself is not illegal, unless the person in the pic saw it and sued him. Not sure how he expects to meet someone in real life though. If it was me I would leave the instant I saw him as I can't expect to date or start anything with someone who lied to me early on. So much for trust being the foundation there.

my friend wants to now if you can get charged or go to jail if you misrepresent yourself on a dating site-this being plentyoffish.com.

Your "friend" is an idiot for even asking this question...

If the guy in England finds out, he'd be in trouble for sure.

Years ago, I met a guy from a dating site who was NOT the guy in the pics. What did I do? Reamed him out for being a fake, then walked out.

So, not sure what your "friend" thinks will come of it, but besides the bad karma he's buying, he's not going to get any women. Beyond that, he's a major loser for doing this.

where can you find this out?

from me

if its legal or illegal.

it may be immoral or in bad taste but its not illegal

SoulSearch_CO
No he can't go to jail unless he bilks women out of money..

No he can't be sued ( well I guess he could be but it wouldn't go anywhere in court )..

there are no damages.. so there is nothing to be gained by a lawsuit...

By the way.. your friend is an idiot..

Not ONE girl will talk to him after meeting him.. Not ONE...

Exactly. Totally agree with whole post. Your friend obviously has zero respect for women - thinking they are that ****ing stupid when they see him in person. Like they're going to be like, "Oh, what the hell - I'll just date the liar, anyway." WTF?

It's called identity theft.

:lmao::lmao: LMAO! Not the legal definition of such. I hope you're kidding.

where can you find this out? if its legal or illegal.

By studying your state's statutes. Google "(state name) revised statutes" and you should be able to find a reference out there somewhere. But I can safely say it's not "illegal" unless he causes some kind of damages to these women in the course of his lies. LOL

:lmao::lmao: LMAO! Not the legal definition of such. I hope you're kidding.

"using a fake pic he stole from someone in England"

Sounds like identity theft to me. BTW where did you study law?

If your 'friend' really likes the person, then get their facebook. Have a propper snoop about it and make sure they are exactly who they say they are.

Gotta love technology! All thos pictures,friends,videos and family on facebook can come in handy ;)

Edited by Soul Bear

I would think the copyright violation might be a more proper charge than id theft.

Of the course law can be worded that it might be id theft.

I would also think intent would also play into the possibility..

If he intends to meet them in person with his own face then were would the theft be ?

If it is id theft then aren't many of the avatars that people use in public forums also id theft being that they are usually someone else..

I would think the copyright violation might be a more proper charge than id theft.

Of the course law can be worded that it might be id theft.

I would also think intent would also play into the possibility..

If he intends to meet them in person with his own face then were would the theft be ?

If it is id theft then aren't many of the avatars that people use in public forums also id theft being that they are usually someone else..

He's attempting to lure people to meet him with a fraudulent identity.

The intent of avatars is not to be fraudulent.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

SO WHAT??? Message the guy in England and Moooove on!

There is no such crime as "identity theft". You're thinking of identity fraud, which is a very specific offense. Although the definition varies by jurisdiction, it normally has to be tied to another criminal offense (i.e. money fraud, forgery of official documents, etc.) in order to be criminal itself. Posting another person's photo on your online dating profile is no more a crime than prank calling or giving somebody the wrong phone number. I've never heard of anybody being convicted of identity fraud for doing what OP's hypothetical friend is thinking of doing.

On a side note. I just this minute got messaged by a guy who has this written on his profile. Just proves there are all sorts of weirdos on the internet. Again 'get over it'.

I am looking for: [sIZE=3] I am looking for a descent, good looking woman. I love long hair, but short is ok too. Hair color is not important, but I would prefer a brunette, blond, black or redhead. As long as your hair isn't hunter green, hot pink or purple, I'm ok with it. There is one race, the human race, so ethnicity is not important. But I would prefer a white, black, Asian or Latin woman(any woman can apply). A Christian woman would be preferred. THOUGH, I may think that Asian women are some of the most Beautiful women on Earth, I am looking for a beautiful woman, and ANY ethnicity is OK! I am attracted to the exotic look. And this can be found in all women! Great personality, Believes her man can do anything(positive attitude),Likes classic cars, and loves music. I am not looking for a liar or a cheater and expect the same. I can't stand when people lie and cheat. Let me know what to expect, and I'm ok with that. If things change, just tell me. Also, if your married, we can only be friends and your husband has to know.[/sIZE]

There is no such crime as "identity theft". You're thinking of identity fraud, which is a very specific offense. Although the definition varies by jurisdiction, it normally has to be tied to another criminal offense (i.e. money fraud, forgery of official documents, etc.) in order to be criminal itself. Posting another person's photo on your online dating profile is no more a crime than prank calling or giving somebody the wrong phone number. I've never heard of anybody being convicted of identity fraud for doing what OP's hypothetical friend is thinking of doing.

How long have you been practicing law for?

SoulSearch_CO

:laugh: Oh, God - now that's funny. Not that it's any of your business, but I am well-acquainted with law enforcement, my mother is a paralegal, I'm close friends with an attorney, and I know how to read my state's CRS. The last part of that entire sentence being what matters most. Who the hell cares? If you'd like - I can ask my attorney if that would be considered "identity theft." Because what I read (and interpreted) from my state's CRS - there wasn't one ****ing thing about using somebody's picture. Lame.

SoulSearch_CO

Bob, Mr High-and-Mighty - interpret this. You don't need a ****ing law degree to read simple english:

COLORADO REVISED STATUTES:

18-5-902. Identity theft.

(1) A person commits identity theft if he or she:

(a) Knowingly uses the personal identifying information, financial identifying information, or financial device of another without permission or lawful authority with the intent to obtain cash, credit, property, services, or any other thing of value or to make a financial payment;

(b) Knowingly possesses the personal identifying information, financial identifying information, or financial device of another without permission or lawful authority, with the intent to use or to aid or permit some other person to use such information or device to obtain cash, credit, property, services, or any other thing of value or to make a financial payment;

© With the intent to defraud, falsely makes, completes, alters, or utters a written instrument or financial device containing any personal identifying information or financial identifying information of another;

(d) Knowingly possesses the personal identifying information or financial identifying information of another without permission or lawful authority to use in applying for or completing an application for a financial device or other extension of credit;

(e) Knowingly uses or possesses the personal identifying information of another without permission or lawful authority with the intent to obtain a government-issued document; or

(f) (Deleted by amendment, L. 2009, (SB 09-093), ch. 326, p. 1737, § 1, effective July 1, 2009.)

Can you tell me where it says using somebody's picture to get a date? Your arrogance is astounding and rather annoying.

SoulSearch_CO
On a side note. I just this minute got messaged by a guy who has this written on his profile. Just proves there are all sorts of weirdos on the internet. Again 'get over it'.

I am looking for: [sIZE=3] I am looking for a descent, good looking woman. I love long hair, but short is ok too. Hair color is not important, but I would prefer a brunette, blond, black or redhead. As long as your hair isn't hunter green, hot pink or purple, I'm ok with it. There is one race, the human race, so ethnicity is not important. But I would prefer a white, black, Asian or Latin woman(any woman can apply). A Christian woman would be preferred. THOUGH, I may think that Asian women are some of the most Beautiful women on Earth, I am looking for a beautiful woman, and ANY ethnicity is OK! I am attracted to the exotic look. And this can be found in all women! Great personality, Believes her man can do anything(positive attitude),Likes classic cars, and loves music. I am not looking for a liar or a cheater and expect the same. I can't stand when people lie and cheat. Let me know what to expect, and I'm ok with that. If things change, just tell me. Also, if your married, we can only be friends and your husband has to know.[/sIZE]

I laughed myself to tears! OMG. That is too much.

JustLooking123

If being an idiot were a crime, our prison system would be much more overloaded than it already is. I'm not sure if this is actually illegal or not, but I am sure that it's pointless and stupid.

SoulSearch_CO
How long have you been practicing law for?

How long have YOU been practicing law and where did you get your degree? (I adore your use of the English language, btw, if you are in the law profession. *snicker*)

But you know what - completely aside the point, I was thinking about it - OP shouldn't be asking for legal advice with any sincerity from an online forum, anyway. :rolleyes: Not only is it piss-poor professionalism for someone with a legal degree to be giving legal advice this way ANYWAY - but you don't know what anyone's qualifications are.

OP - read your state's freaking statutes. It's not that hard. They're written in simple english - it's not like trying to interpret the bible, or something.

I laughed myself to tears! OMG. That is too much.

I tell you I could keep you in stitches for a week! I should start a thread :laugh::laugh:

This guy harassed me for thanking him and telling him I just wasn't interested. Said I though I must better than him. Too bloody right. Me and 99% of the female population!