is there any statisitc?

How many people have been in the affair relationship, I mean either being WS, BS or AP.

I think it's a lot, but in reality (real life), none of my friend and only my uncle in this situation. Is it just I don't know like nobody know I have had an affair?

But if it's 25%, which mean 1/4 of my friends have it, then it's really a lot.

Most men end up in an affair sooner or later according to statistic(anything from 55% to 75%) but also these men on question "do you love your wife" said yes,but they cheat because they are bored with their sex life,or busy at work etc

while women who cheat are emotionally out of the marriage,but they cheat less often

whatatangledweb

I don't believe most people would tell anyone. On the boards I have been on , I would say about 60% never tell anyone. I never told anyone, nor did my husband.

It has been said that 9 out 10 men cheat on their wives in America.

1 out of 10 cheat on them in Europe...

It has been said that 9 out 10 men cheat on their wives in America.

1 out of 10 cheat on them in Europe...

Where is that said? Source?

• Like 2
Where is that said? Source?

Look, we all know that people love to quote stats. The thing is, there are no stats. I don't believe 9/10 Americans cheat. But it is certainly more than we think. Any stat you cite I can find a stat disproving it. Stats are bogus.

Look, we all know that people love to quote stats. The thing is, there are no stats. I don't believe 9/10 Americans cheat. But it is certainly more than we think. Any stat you cite I can find a stat disproving it. Stats are bogus.

Then this thread is irrelevent...why bother replying?

My question is a valid one...if you throw something that bizarre out on a thread about stats...you can reasonably expect someone to ask you where you got it from.

9 out of 10 in the US, but 1 out of 10 in Europe? I don't buy it, and would love to see the source. I've never heard this before, either. It's a reasonable request.

Edited by Owl
  • Like 1
bentleychic

It totally depends on the "control" group, I guess.

For me, my mother, sister, sister in-law had affairs. Several friends have had affairs (one is a serial cheater, but she has some diagnosed mental issues as well and I am pretty sure that's why. That's no excuse, I'm just saying.), my supervisor, my boss, a coworker (with my supervisor). I feel like I know way more than is "normal". I still don't think it's okay despite how many I know and despite the fact that I'm in one.

Maybe because the poster was someone you continuously disagree with you failed to read the post as it was written:

9 out of 10 men cheat on their wives in America, 1 out of 10 cheat on them in Europe...

It's a PLAY, a JOKE. All men cheat on their wives.... some of them go to europe to do it.

There are no sources for statistics that anyone in LS is going to agree on because it just feeds into entrenched positions.

Then this thread is irrelevent...why bother replying?

My question is a valid one...if you throw something that bizarre out on a thread about stats...you can reasonably expect someone to ask you where you got it from.

9 out of 10 in the US, but 1 out of 10 in Europe? I don't buy it, and would love to see the source. I've never heard this before, either. It's a reasonable request.

Maybe because the poster was someone you continuously disagree with you failed to read the post as it was written:

9 out of 10 men cheat on their wives in America, 1 out of 10 cheat on them in Europe...

It's a PLAY, a JOKE. All men cheat on their wives.... some of them go to europe to do it.

There are no sources for statistics that anyone in LS is going to agree on because it just feeds into entrenched positions.

Didn't realize it was a joke. If you just read it...as I did...in the context of the thread, there's no emphasis on "IN", so the joke isn't apparant at all. I'm now curious on the stats of who "got it" before you had to explain it? :)

• Like 3
Didn't realize it was a joke. If you just read it...as I did...in the context of the thread, there's no emphasis on "IN", so the joke isn't apparant at all. I'm now curious on the stats of who "got it" before you had to explain it? :)

Actually the punch line is in the second phrase cheat on THEM in, which forces you to realise, the wives back in America. There is no other meaning. Without the them, there is no joke...

Actually the punch line is in the second phrase cheat on THEM in, which forces you to realise, the wives back in America. There is no other meaning. Without the them, there is no joke...

See...I STILL didn't get it right when I read it! :)

Sometimes it can be really hard to communicate inflections via typing.

Sorry, Owl, I don't consider myself nearly as insightful as you but I got the "joke" immediately and LOL'd : ) And I can't do any better than fellini explaining it.

But I love that, in typical Owl fashion, you're arguing over the clarity of a throwaway comment. Stop!

Sorry, Owl, I don't consider myself nearly as insightful as you but I got the "joke" immediately and LOL'd : ) And I can't do any better than fellini explaining it.

But I love that, in typical Owl fashion, you're arguing over the clarity of a throwaway comment. Stop!

I should be a recipient of my own advice...the recommendation of Newhart's "Stop it" therapy! :)

And actually...not arguing over this...laughing at myself because I simply didn't get it, and I don't have that happen often. :)

I come from Europe,our society is still conservative quite in this part.I would say that most men have been cheating,and most wives know about it.

Few years ago my mother told me about my father having had an affair few years ago ..i was shocked.Then i also found out about a cousins father...These men are all conservative,put family first,you would never imagine.

I would say 70% men cheat and around 30% women cheat

I would also add that society is quite forgiving to cheating man.I know of a case where a wife found about about her husbands affair and wanted to leave him...her family was against and talked her into forgiving him .They are still married

The woman he cheated with was also married,she is divorced now..and the society would look down on the husband had he stayed her

Percent of marriages where one or both spouses admit to infidelity, either physical or emotional 41%

Percent of men who admit to committing infidelity in any relationship they’ve had 57%

Percentage of women who admit to committing infidelity in any relationship they’ve had 54%

Percent of married men who have strayed at least once during their married lives 22%

Percent of married women who have strayed at least once during their married lives 14%

Percentage of men and women who admit to having an affair with a co-worker 36%

Percentage of men and women who admit to infidelity on business trips 35%

Percentage of men and women who admit to infidelity with a brother-in-law or sister-in-law 17%

Average length of an affair 2 years

Percentage of marriages that last after an affair has been admitted to or discovered 31%

Percentage of men who say they would have an affair if they knew they would never get caught 74%

Percentage of women who say they would have an affair if they knew they would never get caught 68%

Percent of children who are the product of infidelity 3%

Percentage of marriages that last after an affair has been admitted to or discovered 31%

I read majority women forgive their cheating husband ,and majority men leave their cheating wives

I read majority women forgive their cheating husband ,and majority men leave their cheating wives

I would agree that women are more likely to get past their husband's affair, depending on the time and type, but men will take either longer, or simply will not overlook the affair. But I wouldn't talk about majorities.

And I think there is a certain Americancentrism in all of this.

If there is one thing for sure, the views on infidelity and their cost vary from country to country, and, in the democratic world probably the most problematic is the USA. Canadians are less troubled by the issue of lying/truth, generally. And European society, in spite what adna says, really depends. I live in a catholic country and the the statistics for infidelity are significantly different here. And the issue of infidelity is vastly different.

ONS's are far more tolerated here than anywhere else I have been. But an EA is almost a death sentence, equally for men and women. I don't see how statistics help if they only come from ONE NATION, especially one that is moving towards greater intolerance from breaching "biblical moral codes" every year, and one that puts so much emphasis on truth as a singular entity. "The truth" like it was something we could grasp. Surely even the USA has huge ideological differences depending on whether you are in the North Carolina or Northern California.

In spanish, for example, one translation for "an affair" is "aventura" (same word as adventure)

Edited by fellini
  • Like 1