best friend ... broken guy code

I met this guy through his best friend at the mall where he'd been working a couple years back. We wound up seeing each other for the next 7mo before an incident happened where we stop talking... it wasn't that bad but at that point in time I wanted to be official with this guy and he hadn't. I found out a couple months later he had a new gf. He calls one night telling me he has a gf but they weren't doing well.. and he would continue to call anytime they weren't doing well. Fast forward to November I had been seeing him on the belief they were not together. We'd see each other and then I wouldn't hear from him for weeks. At the beginning of December I started talking to his best friend who I have known for years. We started seeing each other until end of February when he found out. He blew up at me over the phone for seeing his best friend but minutes after hanging up called back to say he forgave me. This guy has a huge ego and is the type to get jealous easily and hold onto things and not forget. I'm surprised he wanted to forgive me... and the only reason why I said sorry was because he felt betrayed since it was his best friend. I was never official committed to either guy and he had a chance to be official but he didn't want to.. so I don't feel too bad. My question is why would someone with his personality traits chose to look past this and continue to pick up where we always go back to? I do have feelings for him. .I can't help it and he always confides in me about everything so I feel really connected with him. I just don't know if we would ever really be something because I was with his best friend.