how do I trust again

I am coming up on one year finding out about my wife's infidelities - an emotional affair that lasted about 1.5 years and a one night stand (with a different guy). After a few months or so I trusted that there was nothing more that she wasn't telling me - that the EA wasn't also physical, or that there weren't any other guys. And I trusted that she wasn't doing anything inappropriate again. Now, a year or so out, I'm having many more doubts than I have had in a long long time. She swears nothing happened. Of course she lied about everything when I first brought it up to her, and that initial lying likely makes me less trusting now. But how can I really ever be sure that she has nothing more to say? I thought I had accepted that I knew everything there was to know (the important details at least), but now I'm not so sure.

Moxie Lady

I'm sorry you are going thru this.

You might want to check out my thread on this same topic, although I am divorced.

Did your wife do anything to make you suspicious again or do you think it is just residual suspicion from before?

ShatteredLady

Ugh! I'm so sorry. Once the bubble has been burst I think it's lost. I believe that 2 people who really love eachother can continue & build something good but it's never going to be the innocent 'bubble' ever again.

I know that my H isn't cheating 'now' but I still have crazy triggers (as they call them here) rational or not. Do you think that something is going on with your W or are you having (very normal & common) concerns?

CoolHandLuke76

You can't. She's a cheater. That means she's capable of betraying and lying to anyone, even the one she "loves" most. If you stay with her all you can do is hope she's truthful and take it on faith. You'll never know for sure and she has proven she is not trustworthy. C'est la vie.

Did she confess or did she get caught? If she confessed there is guilt there & usually indicates someone wanting & willing to change. If she got caught & continued to lie, that can be cause of concern. Have you seen a change since this has all come out?