How does his reasoning make any sense??

We are going out of the country in a few months and we just have basic phones. I want one that will work in another country in order to keep in touch with the people who will be watching our cats and also to contact our friends who we will be staying with once we land at the airport. My phone is also pretty beat up and I could use a new one. So I went to our carrier Verizon and asked what they had that was basic and cheap. The only one that was a basic phone (yet with smart phone abilities) would mean changing our plan and adding another $15 a month onto it making it about $83/month. To me that's not a big deal. My husband just about lost it over that price and says "They are trying to milk us for everything we've got! We already pay them $68/month to just text and call and I barely ever use my phone." Tells me that we don't need that and not to get it. However, that VERY same day he asks me if I've added HBO to our lineup so we can watch the new season of Game of Thrones that starts this weekend. Guess what? That is also an extra $15/month but he is totally on board with that! Our combined internet/tv bill is already $140/month but he's cool with adding another $15 to that! But not to our $68/month phone bill!

He's also perfectly fine with spending $100 a paycheck on pot, giving what probably amounts to $200 a month to fund this video game he likes, but got forbid we add $15/month (what adds up to $180/year) on a new phone that we can use when we travel!

He's being unreasonable, and only cares about HIS interests. You could also just add temporary international/out of country calling to your phone (either $10 extra each day you USE it for that while away, or $40 for a month - this was the cost when I looked it up a couple of months ago for Verizon). Upgrading your phone does not add the ability to call when travelling out of the country, as far as I know.

• Like 3
GunslingerRoland

You are the breadwinner in your household. You shouldn't need his permission to have a smart phone like even homeless people have these days.

One alternative if YOU don't want to pay the fee, is just buy a used or cheap unlocked smart phone and just use WIFI.

But your husband gives 0 craps about you, so why do you care what his opinion is?

And I'm not trying to bully you, by replying to all of your threads like this, but like others said, when you keep focusing on these small issues while ignoring the fact that your husband treats your horrible, it's denial. And I want to break you out of that denial.

• Like 4
  • Author
He's being unreasonable, and only cares about HIS interests. You could also just add temporary international/out of country calling to your phone (either $10 extra each day you USE it for that while away, or $40 for a month - this was the cost when I looked it up a couple of months ago for Verizon). Upgrading your phone does not add the ability to call when travelling out of the country, as far as I know.

That's exactly the plan I was going to get when we do go out of the country for those two weeks. Pay $15 to have this new phone and then add the $40 bundle of 100 texts and 100 minutes. Send back the phone when we're back and get our plan changed back to what it was. So we pay $120 for a month rather than $68. If I could get the international plan added to my current phone I would, but they say my phone won't work internationally.

What keeps you with your husband, Mapper?

Have you ever done a PRO and CON analysis about staying married to him? You could try the split chair technique.

You have only one life to live. Is this the way you want it to be?

Kind of obvious that he is selfish. I think you know that already. My wife is spoiled by me and gets a new car, iPhone, Apple Watch, iPad, wardrobe, Kindle and more every 3-4 years. She does not need my permission to buy anything. She just buys it but she is more careful with our money than I am so I do not worry about her. Most times I buy her the stuff whether she needs it or not.

I have traveled to 20 countries and I know you can buy one of those burner phones that you throw away when not needed. They will program it so you can call internationally. We have paid for those type of phones for staff members who travel very infrequently.

amaysngrace

I pay about $100 per month per phone. We all have Verizon and we all have the newest iPhones with 128 gb storage.

If you want to pay less than that it's your choice. Just know what other people pay for their phone service. This is what it costs. No illusions....

I told y'all she likes her relationship. It's interesting and comforting.

"Don't save her. She don't want to be saved."

As far as the phone bill goes, prepaid accounts are often much cheaper if the phones are paid for and not financed.

• Like 2
I told y'all she likes her relationship. It's interesting and comforting.

"Don't save her. She don't want to be saved."

As far as the phone bill goes, prepaid accounts are often much cheaper if the phones are paid for and not financed.

Exactly.

I feel for most people who are in bad relationships or marriage. But there are the select few who enjoy the disorder of a crappy relationship, and at a certain point, the onus is on them to do anything about it.

OP has a cynical outlook on life that seems to fill a void in her life. I'm not sure what it is, but on some level, it gives the OP a sense of purpose day-to-day if she has things she can rant about.

• Like 6