Family furious we decided to elope without informing them.

My husband and I have been together a little over a year and 3 weeks ago prior to our trip to Mexico we decided to get married at the City Clerks Office, We'd only been engaged a week but I knew I wanted to spend my life with him. He preferred the idea of eloping but wanted and tried to push for me to have the dream wedding I dreamed of and given that at first our decision to be together was not approved by some people because people were hurt in doing so, I decided that eloping would be the best option for us, we didn't want a wedding, we wanted a marriage, we wanted it to just be all about us and not having to worry about making choices like what plates to have, It was the best decision we made, our week away was very romantic, he surprised me so much and I fell even more in love with him, We couldn't be happier. When we got home I told my parents that we married before we went away and I was excited to tell them, My mom was upset about it, she said she was disappointed that we didn't inform her about the marriage and more that she wasn't present at the wedding to witness it, bare in mind I am a 28yo woman. She is now insisting that we have a big celebration party in the next week or two for our families to celebrate our marriage, my husband and I don't want this as we are enjoying our time alone but are we selfish if we refuse?