Etiquette protocol for dealing with couples

How do you deal with couples if you hate or dislike one of them? Are you courteous to one and rude to the one you don't like? Do you just avoid them both? I am always courteous to both in the relationship regardless.

If someone is rude to one of them, how should the couple handle the situation? Should they no longer associate with the rude person? The the person being slighted in the relationship just accept it and continue to hangout with that person?

Just wondering what the etiquette rules are in this situation.

Someone you hate?

Unless family, heh, I don't spend time with people I truly dislike. My friend would know if I despised her partner, and why, and there would be a significant reason. When it's happened in the past, it's been due to acknowledged abuse in the relationship. She can go back to the guy who punched her in the face, and I'll be her friend and support her, but I'm not going to hang out with him, no way.

Otherwise, I just keep people I'm not crazy about at arm's length, keep the conversation light, and sit on the other side of the room as much as possible. I aim for polite and mildly interested, and then excuse myself to talk to someone else.

• Like 2

For the most part, avoid those people, even if it costs a relationship with their mate, who you may like.

If you're forced into a situation, don't treat the hated one any different, but you certainly don't have to treat them special. Avoid any arguments, and if they bring something up you don't like, simply replay, "sorry you feel that way, but we'll just have to disagree, and this is not up for discussion". If they persist, then leave and your mate should understand.

I rarely have friends like that, but do have a few. My friends GF is that was. She's vindictive, back staging and hatred at times. I get along with her, but she doesn't bring that stuff up when I'm there, and so far, it works. But my friend knows the situation, and has cautioned her to behave herself. (But she is like this with others... not just me).

Fortunately there's really not a lot of A**holes out there.