"husband" sees me as a bad guy

We're not married, been together 4 years, and we have a 2 year old.

He never has one good thing to say about me. Lots of other people think I'm sweet and caring. I do a lot to help others. But he constantly says things that make me sound like a witch.

Back story is that we're living in substandard housing in order to be close to his business, which was supposed to be temporary. He is lazy, and messy, and won't get on board with me to fix the place up, or move. So I find myself always nagging him, and arguing all the time. Instead of getting off his butt, he just labels me as a problem getting in the way of his time to relax and causing him stress. He's very sweet to our daughter, but never to me.

It will come out of nowhere- like yesterday, I was looking in the mirror putting on makeup for work, and he made a joke about snow white's evil stepmother in the mirror, and how I reminded him of that. The same day, I was talking about how we should take a vacation sometime, and he suggested going to a waterfall so that I could push him off. He also tells all of his friends and family his side of every argument, making me look bad, and turning them against me. I don't see the benefit in making your life partner an enemy. When he talks about ex girlfriends or his ex wife, this seems to be a pattern- they are all labeled as psychos by him.

Today is his birthday, and I told our daughter, "Tell daddy happy birthday" in the morning, and she looked confused. Probably because there was no cake and she didn't get what I meant. Well, he said, "She's surprised that you're being nice to me". I was going to go out and get him a present, and now I just have no desire. I'm thinking of getting him a card from our daughter and having her give it to him, and that's all. Nothing from me. I'm so sick of him disparaging my character. Should I get him a present or just tell him that I'm the bad guy no matter what I do, so why bother?

I believe in celebrating birthdays with cards, presents & cake.

That's not your issues. Instead get yourself & your daughter a present, move. Why would you allow your child to grow up in substandard housing?

• Author

We had agreed to fix it up together for the time being, and that it was only temporary, but he has been lazy, and it is something that takes a team effort. I'm reluctant to split up the family, but I'm afraid that we will have to move and leave him there.