mother in law

BOREDouttaMymind

i know theres the typical mother in law issue, but for my problem specifically..

she cant stand when im not engaged in every single conversation. when i go to her home, i talk, but i also just like to relax. me reading a magazine on the couch while others talk is not allowed. she says "don't disengage today".

when we go to my moms house, my mom says "you two do whatever you want, just feel comfortable." i cant stand it. i think this is more of me ranting than anything else because im sure the responses wont help.

it makes me so angry that shes constantly trying to get me to talk when im the one to always start a conversation with her son. so annoying, its beyond annoying. and i get to be with her..for the rest.. of.. my .. life.

My h felt this pressure too. if he wasn't right there then my mom would say "doesn't he like spending time with us???"

How is your wife about this? I ended up basically telling my parents to knock it off, that the fact that he felt comfortable enough there to hang out and relax meant he WAS happy there. They grumbled a bit, but they stopped, and then - guess what - he started engaging more because he didn't feel like it was a test every time we visited.

• Like 2
  • Author
BOREDouttaMymind

ugh, janedoe I wish. my wife says 'well when we go over, we're not there to read a magazine'. crap like that.

and then, ive been going to the gym on this 60 day program, really trying to stay dedicated to it, and when we go over, EVERYONE is sick, my MIL, FIL, my wifes brother, his kids, everyone. coughing, boogers, sneezing. and im like CRAP im going to get sick.

so what does my MIL do? she tries to hand me the coughing baby! im like Uh no, you got sick from him, why are you handing him to me????

its so annoying I feel my life being drained out from me. I know I sounds dramatic, but its what I feel.

that family always only sees what I don't do. 'why doesn't he talk?'..but they never notice the times I DO talk. ugh.

I'd say... Go overboard... Don't shut up and really just go on and on about anything and everything. Lol.

Seriously tho, you and your wife have a lot of issues that aren't gonna just go away. You may need to look into that.

• Like 2

Seriously - love this!

I'd say... Go overboard... Don't shut up and really just go on and on about anything and everything. Lol.

Seriously tho, you and your wife have a lot of issues that aren't gonna just go away. You may need to look into that.

:laugh:

Stop being a wuss, don't go!!! I hate to hear of people who get dragged to the in-laws. Why the hell do you have to be married to your in-laws and like them just because you got married, crazy. Sounds to me like your MIL is a pain in the ass and wants your attention, as she is an attention seeker..

When you marry someone you marry into their family and vice versa. I think there is a balance with being pushed around to what you suggest. If my H refused to go to family get togethers just because he was too childish to put up with annoying behaviour for an evening, he could grow up or pack his bags and leave.

• Like 1