My boyfriend and I have been together for 3 years. For the past year, I have been hoping that he would propose. Now I am pretty sure he is going to, but I feel nervous.

I know I love him. And to be honest, I can't imagine NOT being with him. He an I do not live together and have both lived alone for a number of years, so I know that there will be adjustment required there. But we spend enough time together for me to know that living together should not be a "deal breaker".

I would imagine that some amount of nervousness is normal. I mean after all, it is a HUGE step.

I guess I am just wondering how much nervousness it too much?

Talk about it. Thats what me and my bf did....we want to get married, but we're just trying out living together first, so that we know what we are getting into. It's ok....it's not giving him a free ride, or like having the cow and milk or whatever LOL Just talk to him, and I don't think that it will keep him from proposing. If ANYTHING I think it might encourage him to marry you if you get along well together.

After three years in a relationship you both should know up-front what will be going on in your future. YOU decide what you want, let him know that you are interested in marriage and you hope that he is too, but if he isn't you will be moving on. If he loves you, he won't want to lose you. But, if you do this, you have to mean it. I wouldn't try to talk him into anything--you need to follow your goals and if marriage is a goal you must have the courage of your convictions. If you tell him this and he says he's not sure---move on and DON'T CALL HIM. Give him a reasonable amount of time to decide (not an ultamatum, but a gentle nudge, and don't tell him how long your're going to wait) --say it with a smile but with conviction so he knows you mean it. Good luck and keep us posted.

it always amazes me how long people wait before marriage in north america

in europe, its not rare to get married after several months of dating!...

im not advocation one or the other, but i'm wondering where this cultural diff-ce stems from ...

-yes

Its too easy to get married these days. I think couples should have a very good reason why to get married other than just love. Love is love, and marriage is whole other ball game.

It amazes me that so many people want to get married. Its most of those people who end up in divorce. I personally would not want to get married unless I was ready to have children.

Are you planning on making a family soon?

Its way easier to get married than divorced. And some people say that it's worse to live together before you get married, so I mean who knows.