Should I propose?

Okay so here is the deal. I have been dating my girlfriend since high school; we started dating when she was a freshman and I was a junior. We had a great two year relationship and then came the time for me to go off to college. The first few months were tough and led to a brief and very regrettable break-up but it all worked out. My sophmore year was much easier as we both adjusted to the long-distance thing. We always planned to go to the same college, but she ended up going to a different school (only an hour and a half away), which was hard, but much better than my first two years of school.

Now here I am, one month from graduation, six years into an increadible relationship and I am thinking to myself "I have been dating the same girl since she was 14 and I was 16...I am now 22 and she is nearly 20...should I propose or are we still too young?" Thats basically the point of this post.

She always wanted to elope when she turned 18, but that was way too young for me, and although the idea was appealing, we both grew out of it. But here we are, deeply in love and 100% dedicated to each other. She has been my best friend for six years, we have been there for each other through every up and down imaginable, and the only thing that I am certain of in life is that we were meant for each other and that I love her so much. I want to marry her more than anything; I have since the day I met her. I understand that she is only 19 (almost 20), but I mean after being with her and only her for six years, it seems right to get engaged. I am moving back to our home town (where she goes to college) to start law school (I am doing the Marine Corps JAG program)...I have three years of law school and she has two more years of college; both schools are in a fifteen minute drive of each other so we could finally live together...I just think that I should propose and then marry her next summer. Waiting any longer would just be too hard. Do you think this is a good time to do so? I am not sure what her family would think, or even mine for that matter, but its not their relationship. Its been six years, I found my soulmate, and I finally think its time to start planning a life together...I need thoughts, adivce, etc. Anything would help.

Thanks

amaysngrace

I think it's fabulous that you two get along so well. That's a blessing in itself.

But if I were you I'd wait until after you've been living together for a while before I'd propose. That'll be coming up in the near future so why not wait a little longer to see how that goes?

They say you never really know someone until you've lived together, whoever "they" are. ;)

I think it is sweet to feel the way you do, It sounds like you have many good things ahead for you alone and as a couple.

Go with your heart.

If you love each other so much, why not wait?

people change alot between 22-27. Doesn't mean any marraige at 22 won't work..

but.. some maturity behind it might help.

20 is way too young to get married. Sounds like she's looking for an escape.w

CaterpillarGirl

I would speak to her parents first. I think it's imperative that you get their feedback on this. Reasons?

1) If they have any objections, you'll be able to address these with them before you propose.

2) They'll respect you for coming to them first. It shows that you value them and their relationship with their daughter.

Personally, I think that you are very young to be getting married. If it was me, I would like to know that both my partner and I were financially and emotionally ready for marriage. If you do decide to go ahead with the proposal, make sure to get premarital counseling. I'm sure after 6 years with your gf, you think you know almost everything about her, but there are many issues that come with marriage that you may have not even thought about yet.

If she's has two more years of college to go, I would wait until she's closer to graduation to ask her. Just as you are now "more ready" for marriage, those two extra years are equally important for her own maturity, and for her to more fully develop herself and her dreams.

You have time - true love doesn't need to rush.