Are we compatible at all?

Bit of backstory: This is not my first relationship and I'm well experienced, he is not, he has never had a girlfriend or anything at all. We have been together for 2, almost 3 months. Before we started dating he told me he was this clingy, engaging (in conversations aka 'deep talks'), affectionate guy who would do everything I found necessary in a relationship for a relationship to work out, he's not the most attractive so all of this made him really shine in my eyes as amazing. We talk everyday and I fear we are not compatible for a long term relationship. We were supposed to meet in December but we had to cancel the flight due to his living situation. A week or so ago one of his parents died. This has put a massive strain on us.

We spend every day together, talking as much as possible over text or over voice communication (we are both gamers so this is very easy). However our honeymoon phase ended a week into it all, all affection pre much stopped unless its like one remark every few days or so. Whenever we talk anymore its just small talk and theres no real spark anymore. I care about him alot and think he's perfect in so many ways except for the fact that he isn't like me in the showing affection and that (so clingy/needy?) we can barely hold a proper conversation anymore.

But before we started dating he told me he was everything I was looking for, clingy/needy/affection levels were all brilliant. But few weeks in it started disappearing so I brought it up and he said he would try (never really worked) and that it just wasn't him. Still haven't seen much from him 2-3 months in.

Is there anything I can do to try to help us, should I just accept it or should we move on?

Edited by injustice112
Adding some more details

Leave it, there is no 'us'. It was just an infatuation over the net.

He lost a parent and that will take a full year for him to process.

Find yourself someone local.