Missing my boyfriend so much already and I just left, how to cope?

So I know a lot of people may not take me seriously because I'm only 18, but I'm so sad right now. I just spent the past week with my boyfriend (who's also 18 and lives 4 hours away) and left very early this morning, and I've been a mess ever since. We've been together for a year and a half but this is the longest I've ever spent with him, and it just made going home so much harder because I got a real taste of what it would be like if we lived close. I've been crying on and off ever since I left, and any time I think about him or when I'm going to see him next I start to tear up. Weirdly enough I've never felt this awful leaving him, but I already miss him so much and it's so hard knowing that the next time I'll see him is probably months from now. Even after all this time and all this distance, I'm still head over heels for him.

I'm trying to just be grateful for the time I spent with him because I loved every second of it, being with him makes me so happy. But it's really hard, I feel so lonely already and I've only been home for a little bit. I don't have many friends at home (long story) so it's sad knowing that the one person I enjoy spending time with most isn't going to be around. I know it could be worse, I know that there's other couples out there who don't see eachother for years.

We try to FaceTime every night as long as one of us isn't busy, but it just isn't the same as actually getting to be together in person.

Any tips to cope and stop being so sad? :(

If he's only 4 hours away, why can't you spend more time together? You each drive two hours, meet halfway, and spend the day together. Or get a hotel room and spend the night together. I don't see any logical reason why you have to wait months to see him again.

• Like 1
ExpatInItaly
If he's only 4 hours away, why can't you spend more time together? You each drive two hours, meet halfway, and spend the day together. Or get a hotel room and spend the night together. I don't see any logical reason why you have to wait months to see him again.

I was about to suggest the same.

OP, why do you have to wait so long to see him again?

Make sure you know his schedule so you can call/skype him when he is free. You just have to keep yourself busy when he is busy. If you have a job or doing school that will already occupy your time, but for those hours in between you can always go to the gym (which I do, so when you're boyfriend comes back you can show them how fit and energized you are) or pick up a new hobby. Try to find a TV show you can binge watch, go to youtube, and reading LS stories, experiences and successes take a lot of hours and I don't feel as lonely reading them. And its something you can do so you don't feel that sad when you're home alone. Also forcing yourself to hang out with friends or family when you can is awesome! Sometimes i dont feel like going or doing anything, but I drag myself there and do my best to enjoy my time, and i thank myself after because they keep me occupied or distracted. I also got myself more involved in different groups to meet new people. There will be days when you feel sad again, but sulking about it isn't going to get you out of that feeling. Happiness is really a choice, and you have to choose to be happy sometimes, or even "fake it till you make it" so that you fake being happy on a regular basis it starts to become a normal feeling and you become more positive. Write things down on a journal too :) Lastly for me, music changes my mood so I listen to things that put me in a good mood (lately I just skip all the lovey dovey music lol because I can care less right now). Hope these somewhat help!! Hang in there, and show your boyfriend that you can be strong and that you can enjoy life even though he isn't there!