Positives of LDR

So I posted previously that my boyfriend of 3 years left to another state for a year of college. He left a few days ago, and it has been extremely rough lately and I really hope this emptiness goes away but I know LDRs are tough but it can be successful. So I'm trying to stay positive, and it's nice to know I'm not alone here. What are somethings that you do in your LDR that your significant other appreciates and makes them happy? For example, if they mentioned that they like how independent you are or that they appreciate that you let them hang out with their friends alot, etc. I want to make things work with my boyfriend because I know he is coming back permanently after that year, and he will visit during the holidays. So anyway, hearing about things that make your significant other happy is good to know for tips/ways to keep an LDR strong.

Everyone is different so it will mean different things for different people. Look into the 5 Love Languages. Get to know which of the languages apply to your partner and that will guide you toward practical things you can do to keep your love alive.

• Like 1

Well, of course neither person should be trying to prevent the other from going out with their friends unless there is a very good reason. So IMO that should just be a given.

When I think about things I appreciated during the long distance portion of our R, it's more about the 'above and beyond' things. Talking for hours on Skype and leaving the webcam on as we sleep or do other things separately. Sending birthday cards or gifts. Planning our visits. Webcam sex. ;)

I agree with the above poster that much of this depends on how you/he prefer to express or receive expressions of love.