For Love or Money?

WalkingTall

[color=darkblue][/color]I hope that this is in the right forum.

Back story:

I have been away at work for about 70 days straight, 14 hours away. My GF and I are dating very exclusively and very passionately and have been for about a year. I was home for 2 days this past week, just enough to say hi and leave again :( .

Yesterday my office called and asked me to go to work even further away for the summer, to work with brand new technology that our company is testing, which means from 3 - 6 months away with no guarantee of time off.

Last year I did the same thing in another country and was gone for 8 weeks back for 3 days and gone for another 4 weeks.... Needless to say that it was difficult on both of us to be apart for so long and then having to get through this winter was really tough as well.

Anyway, without thinking I immediately said no thanks. I know this was the right thing to do, and don't regret it. My GF is far more important to me than anything, and I know I may lose her to this job as it is ( although I won't let it get to that point, I would find something in town before I lose her)

I was wondering if anyone one else would do the same, or go for possible career advancement.

It really depends on the person. Some people value their career more than any relationship and others value love more. For me, I would have said no to the other job offer as well and stayed close to my loved one. Like you said, it was already hard enough on you two. No need to make matters worse. You did the right thing, in my opinion. Love will be there for you when you're at your lowest, money won't.

• Author
WalkingTall

Words to live by.... thanks. And to me, money is not a goal in life although I am blessed with a well-paying job. So yes, there was no conflict when I turned it down.

RecordProducer

When we make decisions we give our best. Even when we realize retrospectively that we made the wrong move, it was probably the best solution at that point so regrets are pointless. Your heart and mind told you what to do. It's great that you have such a loving relationship. Hopefully she appreciates that. Wish all men were like you in that aspect. Congrats!

• Author
WalkingTall

Thanks... I know it is the right decision... I am not going to look back on my life and say that I had a great career and regret potentially throwing away the deepest and most gratifying love I have ever felt. I want to look back and say I loved 10 lifetimes worth, even if it means I acheived few of my career goals.

Having said that, I am very successful as it stands right now, and could live very comfortably as it is. It's not as if I am needing more monetary gains.