LDR Tips, Tricks and Tactics?

So, what do you do to deal with the stress of an LDR?

What do you do to help maintain intimacy, communicate with each other, etc?

What keeps it alive for you? How long are you willing to do the LDR thing? What prevents you from making it something other than and LDR?

Solana.

LDR = Long Distance Relationship

What do I do? We IM, we phone, I have been known to write letters and send packages.

In the IM's, I try to be as personal as possible and tell him what I am thinking. In the past 3 months, things have been MUCH better and we talk MUCh more often. At the beginning, before it was an established relationship, we talked maybe 2X per week...if I was lucky. Now...it is more frequent and I am much happier with that.

How long am I willing to do this for? As long as it takes until we are certain of where it is going. :) I am not ready to give up my job and life in Hong Kong, as much as I miss him, and he will never leave Australia. I get to see him in 17 days and I am THRILLED!!! :D

The stress....I talk to him, my girlfriends, this forum, write in my diary and blog. I find outlets. I do not cheat. I do not want anyone else.

• 3 weeks later...

I was the LDR for 22 yrs, so please heed my advice on this subject.

You must be open, trusting, and mostly, talk daily. You have to FEEL

loved by the OP in your life. Special occasions such as birthdays, holidays are always remembered and also the day you MET is treated

like a "SPECIAL" time. During my LDR times there were 2X a year where we met for a vacation together. I know this isn't what you may experience but it was MINE....I was happy with that .... we connected physically and on the off times, PHONE SEX was a high priority. We loved each other very much.....I say "LOVED" because one month ago this week my "LOVE" ended it.....If you are prepared for HEARTBREAK without being able to talk face-to-face, then go for it....I will never do it again...You can't just run over and give someone a "HUG" and see their "TEARS"....it's all done by phone and that is what to expect when your in a LDR relationship....Can you live with that???

I'm trying real hard everyday to move on....but it won't stop me from thinking that I hung on all these years thru a distanced affair and today I have NOTHING but presents and memories to show for it.

I'm sorry you are in this situation....I can't ever imagine doing it again.

L DD

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I've been in my LDR for 1 year now, we started off LD (we are about 2 1/2 hours apart), but we still saw each other every weekend the past year. My LDR is better than any other relationship I've been in. The key though is that we both communicate, are honest with each other - mind games don't work when your primary relationship is over the phone!!! My b/f has no problem telling me everyday when we talk that he loves me and misses me, and if we are on the phone together, that is our time - call waiting will just have to wait!

Also, I think it helps that we do have plans to move in together next fall - it makes being in a LDR much less stressfull when there is an end in sight & we know we will someday be together. Otherwise, I think I would be wondering exactly where we were going w/ this?? Anyways, it's actually pretty easy to keep the "passion" alive because you don't get to see each other as much, it keeps you longing for the other person and then when u finally do see them, then get back :) Also, i do little surprises for him like sending him a cute card, once i surprised him with a jacuzzi suite, and he does things for me too.

So don't be discouraged about it if you are thinking about getting in a LDR - I am in one and have never been happier. Maybe things will work out for you, for me, or maybe not, but i think it's worth it to take that chance.

There are whole websites with ideas on how to keep an LDR fresh and interesting and passionate. Just Goggle away!