Long distance friendship (perhaps more?) - confused about us now

Starlight1234

Hi there,

I’m new to this forum and was wondering if you could provide some thoughts on a situation I’m in (I'm sorry this is such a long post).

Late last year, I met a guy online (31 same age as me) via a message board, he noticed I was flying to the US from the UK to visit friends and go to an event, so he contacted me and started telling me about the place I was due to visit as that’s where he lives. It turned out he was going to the same event as I and we had the same friends, was so we started PMing back and forth about it since we had something in common and we started to get to know each other (we took it to Facebook and added each other on Twitter and Instagram) This went on for about 4-6 weeks prior to my visit and by the time I was due to fly out we agreed to meet one another and hang out. The trip was great and I had time to meet this guy and a few times during my 2 week visit I really enjoyed my time with him – we really clicked.

When I returned home we stayed in touch with each other and we talked almost every day either by FB messaging, iMessage and Skype, we’d often stay up all night talking away about anything and everything. Despite the time difference we made an effort to get to know one another. When he was having a really bad day I was there to listen and offer him my support and advice. When I had a minor operation or when I lost my job he was there for me. We flirted with each other all the time and this gradually increased more and more as time went on, it seemed he was really in to me and I was genuinely into him – I still am.

About three months ago, he came over to Europe for some events that I was also going to and we agreed to spend 2 weeks with each other and our friends. We pretty much planned this trip together and talked about it nonstop for months (we started planning in January). I was so excited to see him again and I sensed he felt the same way too. Things went so well, we spent lots of time with each other, talking, sightseeing, going out to eat all that good stuff. We also hung out with our friends away from one another so we weren’t joined at the hip! I felt there was a lot of chemistry between us (even one of my friends commented on how well we got on and the subtle looks we would give each other, in fact at one of our events I was speaking to venue staff and one of them referred to him as my boyfriend! Which I to be honest, I liked it... and he didn’t seem to mind either. I felt we were getting much closer to one another). Without going in to too much detail we did end up sleeping together. Multiple times. It felt right/natural. I think this is worth mentioning.

So we both went back to our respective homes and we still maintained contact. Everything seemed to be going as they were, we went back to FB messages, texts, Skype etc, as it was before we saw each other again. I missed him terribly and I told him and he would tell me he missed me too and would hint that I should fly back out to the US whenever I could.

About 2 weeks after I got home, I went off on another trip to Paris lasting a week to visit some friends. We were still keeping in touch... kind off. About half way in to my trip I started to notice he was not liking/commenting on as many of my FB posts and photos (it seems so trivial right? But we were always ‘around each other’ on social media, joking with each other, you know?). I sent him an update telling him about my trip and the things that I saw and did, I got back to him on the things that he recommended and all he said was ‘well, it looks like you had the best trip ever, didn’t you?!?’ and that’s all he had to say. So, I let it go and asked him about how he was getting on, what he’d been up to, how he was getting settled back in to work and his message was shorter than usual.

He went off on a two week holiday (with his siblings and mother) to visit family a few weeks ago (about 2 days after I got back from my 2nd trip) and I sent him a message wishing him a safe flight and to have lots of fun, to take photos etc, he acknowledged it by saying ‘thank you, sweetie. I will.’ During that time I heard from him once. Which I thought was odd.

Once he returned home, I left it about a week to hear back from him, nothing. So I asked him if everything was OK and how his trip was. We engaged in some small talk. He told me some things but I noticed something different in his response. Concise.

Eventually (last Thursday), I had to ask him ‘is everything OK... did I do something to piss you off?’

He said, I hadn’t done anything at all and if I had he’d definitely tell me if I did and that he’d been distancing himself due to the UK/US distance and that he’s done long distance before and that it killed him on the inside. He also has some things going on with family (which I was fully aware of) and he’s been keeping to himself from people not just me. He said:-

I wish things were different where we could simply see each other in the same city. its basically the whole long distance thing...i distanced myself from letting myself go that way...i probably felt like it would happen but that along with the family drama made me a bigger mess all around.

He also went on to say I’m just a mess and I didn’t want any feelings to get involved. There! I said it! (I have no idea whether he meant my feelings or his he kind of skipped over that).

But this conversation was just bizarre, things kind of escalated quickly, horribly actually and I questioned him why he spend so much time engaging with me like if long distance was so much of an issue this whole time. Honest, to goodness this whole long distance issue came up in our most recent conversation and it left me thinking ‘WTF?!’ but he maintains it was always there.

We exchanged some more messages that night and I got really upset with him and said some things that I wish I could take back. We’ve never argued like this before (we've disagreed, yes, but NEVER argued :( ). I then had to walk away from my laptop. When I returned I told him I was going deactivate my profile for a bit, I just need to stop any temptation of me contacting him and saying anything more and making things, much, much worse, little did he know I was crying so hard – I was heartbroken and I hated myself for saying those things to him 4 days later after I cooled down, I reactivated my account. Well, as soon as I did within an hour or two he had blocked me. I couldn’t help myself so I text ‘you better not forget to delete me from twitter! ;)’ to which he responded ‘you got it! *thumbs up emoji* ‘ but he hasn’t done that yet. A few hours later I text him to say, I'm so sorry I said those things to you, forgive me :( I've not heard anything since.

I’ve been feeling absolutely heartbroken since we’ve argued, awful for what I said and now that he’s blocked me completely on Facebook, I’m scared to email him in case I make things worse but I also don’t want to lose him first and foremost as a friend so not sure how to go on from here.

Should I leave him for now and wait until he gets back to me or email him? I’m just not sure whether he’s worried about entering another long distance relationship with me due to what’s happened in the past or whether he’s just not in to me anymore. If its the latter, I’d rather know now rather than be ignored or him being vague, and yes the truth hurts but I think that’s better than not knowing at all, right? :(

I’m sorry this is so long winded. I wanted to provide as much detail as possible. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Edited by Starlight1234
  • Like 1

I'm sorry to be so blunt, but I'm in a long distance relationship and it's *(&£$ing hard.

It really is. Communication is all you have for long periods of time. Limiting you to texts, emails, phone calls and video chat.

Frustrations, lack of communication and busy lives can lead to misunderstandings - and you can start to harbour resentment for someone because of something you "think" they did, leading to awkward silences, people backing away and eventually, sometimes - a MASSIVE FIGHT.

I've had a few with my girlfriend, and it is so frustrating because it doesn't help, particularly if you are already feeling doubts and insecurities about the LD part of it.

I feel ya. And don't beat yourself up about losing your cool. We all do it, trust me - I've acted like a total ass sometimes and had to say sorry more than once for it.

• Like 4
  • Author
Starlight1234
I'm sorry to be so blunt, but I'm in a long distance relationship and it's *(&£$ing hard.

It really is. Communication is all you have for long periods of time. Limiting you to texts, emails, phone calls and video chat.

Frustrations, lack of communication and busy lives can lead to misunderstandings - and you can start to harbour resentment for someone because of something you "think" they did, leading to awkward silences, people backing away and eventually, sometimes - a MASSIVE FIGHT.

I've had a few with my girlfriend, and it is so frustrating because it doesn't help, particularly if you are already feeling doubts and insecurities about the LD part of it.

I feel ya. And don't beat yourself up about losing your cool. We all do it, trust me - I've acted like a total ass sometimes and had to say sorry more than once for it.

I don't doubt that for a second! But when that person is worth it than I would all that I can to make it work. I think he's worth it, I want to make it work with him. But if he has his doubts or already has his mind set then.... :/

I don't want to push it, I'm thinking of sending him another apology and leaving it at that. Good or bad idea? I don't want to seem pushy or persistent.

Thank you for responding :)

I would send another apology, keeping it simple. If this person is really worth it then you only have one life - go for it and try to make it work. :)

we did end up sleeping together. Multiple times.
I guess that was a mistake: you didn't have any talk about you two, still you had sex, which ended up NSA. You didn't expect that, right? But it's always around the corner, so it should be something to discuss before it happens. Now I'm not sure if you'll have a chance to anymore.

all he said was ‘well, it looks like you had the best trip ever, didn’t you?!?’
How could you disregard such a comment? I guess you were having fun, while he was home dealing with his frustration... There's a thing called empathy, and it should always be working when you're LD. I'm not saying it shouldn't when you're not LD, just when you're far away from each other, empathy must reach level 10 (0 to 10). Otherwise, what you get is misunderstandings, resentment, fightings, silences, etc.

I sent him a message wishing him a safe flight and to have lots of fun
I guess you started something that was still at a friend-only stage. What you said sounds mature and all, but you were not "loving each other" that way, if you know what I mean, when you say things like "Will you miss me a bit?" or "I'll miss you a lot", "Will you have time to call at all?" and stuff. Did you show any interest in keeping in touch while he was away? It looks like you can deal just fine even if you don't hear from him for a week or two. Probably, he wasn't fine with that, he was having a hard time wanting to be with you, and you being far away, and seeing you were OK with it. Things from the past resurfaced, and he must have wondered what he was doing and if he wanted to repeat his mistakes, or if he was willing to go through the same pain again.

things kind of escalated quickly, horribly actually and I questioned him why he spend so much time engaging with me like if long distance was so much of an issue this whole time.
Because he enjoyed it? You can't accuse him for growing feelings for you. You can accuse him for not stopping things earlier, so that YOU wouldn't be misled. But better not. I guess he was genuine. Just probably a mess like he said, due to what he's dealing with in other areas of his life (family, or whatever). Maybe he was torn and was still thinking if it was worth it or he should end it. And you triggered everything and it exploded in your hands. You could have been patient and use that limbo time to show him you really care and would be committed, and visits could be frequent and have a great time together. But you ruined it losing your cool and saying things you now regret. To him, that might be showing your true colors, and scared him off even more.

I told him I was going deactivate my profile for a bit
What profile, where you first met online?

4 days later after I cooled down, I reactivated my account. Well, as soon as I did within an hour or two he had blocked me
He's a man. He doesn't want to be like putty in your hands.

now that he’s blocked me completely on Facebook, I’m scared to email him in case I make things worse but I also don’t want to lose him first and foremost as a friend so not sure how to go on from here.
Well, it's very hard to tell. Don't email him. Is twitter your only possible channel of communication right now?

I guess you should act sensibly, smartly and delicately. You could leave messages on twitter that are meant for him, without bothering him directly. Messages that can convey how sorry you are, and sad, etc. But with not too much negativity. Avoid uploading stupid insignificant stuff just to waste your time, or things conveying you're having the best time of your life. Inspirational quotes and the like are OK. Anything that can be a good message for him and draw him to you again.

I’m just not sure whether he’s worried about entering another long distance relationship with me due to what’s happened in the past or whether he’s just not in to me anymore.
Well, you might have turned him off pretty much with the bad things you said, which helped or even led him to his final decision. But it was you stopping contact, not him. You forced that upon him. He probably would have kept in touch, even if not as frequently as it was before. But again, he was in a limbo phase, and you speeded up the process.

I think he's worth it, I want to make it work with him. But if he has his doubts or already has his mind set then.... :/
This is the kind of message you should convey, along with others like sometimes you regret stuff you say, etc.

I'm thinking of sending him another apology and leaving it at that. Good or bad idea?
Bad, if you ask me.
  • Like 1
  • Author
Starlight1234

Hi justwhoiam,

Many thanks for the detailed response, I appreciate your thoughts on this it was incredibly insightful.

I guess that was a mistake: you didn't have any talk about you two, still you had sex, which ended up NSA. You didn't expect that, right? But it's always around the corner, so it should be something to discuss before it happens. Now I'm not sure if you'll have a chance to anymore.

I agree, it's something we should have spoken about. I regret not doing so. I'm not a NSA/ONS type of person, I should have made that very clear to him.

How could you disregard such a comment? I guess you were having fun, while he was home dealing with his frustration... There's a thing called empathy, and it should always be working when you're LD. I'm not saying it shouldn't when you're not LD, just when you're far away from each other, empathy must reach level 10 (0 to 10). Otherwise, what you get is misunderstandings, resentment, fightings, silences, etc.

I only let it go because I felt it was a little snarky but in no way did I mean to be not empathetic. When I told him about my trip, I told him how much I missed him, and I wished he was there with me, I even revisited a place we went to together and I said it just wasn't the same without him there. I expressed those things to him yet still he said it.

He would often post about the things he was up to and places he were with other people and I would envy the people that were with him and wish it was me :( but I would still want to speak to him about what he was doing and was still interested.

I guess you started something that was still at a friend-only stage. What you said sounds mature and all, but you were not "loving each other" that way, if you know what I mean, when you say things like "Will you miss me a bit?" or "I'll miss you a lot", "Will you have time to call at all?" and stuff. Did you show any interest in keeping in touch while he was away? It looks like you can deal just fine even if you don't hear from him for a week or two. Probably, he wasn't fine with that, he was having a hard time wanting to be with you, and you being far away, and seeing you were OK with it. Things from the past resurfaced, and he must have wondered what he was doing and if he wanted to repeat his mistakes, or if he was willing to go through the same pain again.

I definitely understand what you're saying. When I was on my own trip, I told him how much I missed him, or I wished he was there with me, I even revisited a place we went to together and I said it just wasn't the same with out him there. I expressed those things to him.

I didn't mean to give the impression that I was dealing just fine when he was away, not at all. I was still liking and commenting on his posts/photos when he was away but he just wasn't engaging with me like he used to so no PMs, emails, texts etc but I was still on FB but it felt like he was ignoring me. That point I just felt like I was always initiating a conversation from him and perhaps would would have liked him to contact me also, you know?

Because he enjoyed it? You can't accuse him for growing feelings for you. You can accuse him for not stopping things earlier, so that YOU wouldn't be misled. But better not. I guess he was genuine. Just probably a mess like he said, due to what he's dealing with in other areas of his life (family, or whatever). Maybe he was torn and was still thinking if it was worth it or he should end it. And you triggered everything and it exploded in your hands. You could have been patient and use that limbo time to show him you really care and would be committed, and visits could be frequent and have a great time together. But you ruined it losing your cool and saying things you now regret. To him, that might be showing your true colors, and scared him off even more.

I guess I really feel like I've shot myself in the foot here, huh? :( Everything you said here is true, I think this particular response got me the most because I think what you said is very true.

What profile, where you first met online? (Facebook)

He's a man. He doesn't want to be like putty in your hands.)

Well, it's very hard to tell. Don't email him. Is twitter your only possible channel of communication right now?

I guess you should act sensibly, smartly and delicately. You could leave messages on twitter that are meant for him, without bothering him directly. Messages that can convey how sorry you are, and sad, etc. But with not too much negativity. Avoid uploading stupid insignificant stuff just to waste your time, or things conveying you're having the best time of your life. Inspirational quotes and the like are OK. Anything that can be a good message for him and draw him to you again.

Well, you might have turned him off pretty much with the bad things you said, which helped or even led him to his final decision. But it was you stopping contact, not him. You forced that upon him. He probably would have kept in touch, even if not as frequently as it was before. But again, he was in a limbo phase, and you speeded up the process.

Yes Twitter is still there, he hasn't deleted me (yet). He doesn't use it as much as I do although he may just use it to read stuff. I dunno. I could give that a go. We had a conversation about people who hint thinks at people or call people out on Facebook, I told him I'm not like that, I don't think it's right (and in most cases, gutless and immature), would I not be doing the same thing on Twitter?

But I told him I needed back away from the conversation before I deactivated my FB profile. I said I said to much I needed to step away from this before I make it worse and then I did it. I didn't just delete him out the blue.

I woke up feeling even more depressed about our fight today. I don't want to lose him :(

• Like 1
  • Author
Starlight1234

Has anyone else been in a similar situation to me? Or perhaps and guys here could provide some thoughts from a male's perspective?

Thank you :)

• Like 1

Hopefully some of the guys in here will tell you what they would feel like in his shoes. But you never know for sure until you find yourself in those shoes for real.

In the meantime, there's still something positive. Are you still both on where you first met? Wasn't it a forum? You could be back there.

I know what you mean regarding indirect messages. I guess it wouldn't be mature if you had a fight with him and then wouldn't want to make the first move to make up. But this is not your case now. You do want, but now he's gone and doesn't want to have anything to do with you. So you are going to respect his privacy and serenity. He will only read your messages, if he still cares a bit about you.

Don't make it evident for everyone that they're about you and him specifically. Don't embarass him with anything. Just use it as your chance to let him know your real feelings and how deep they are. And reassuring him that what he did see was not the real you.

If you're still in a forum with him, you can put on a signature. It won't be easy to find a good one for your case, but you have time to think of it, so be wise.

You can also work on yourself a bit regarding the sudden snappings, etc. You can learn to be patient. For example you can start counting up to 100 or 200 before you say anything. And then you weigh your words.

I'm sure he made his own mistakes, didn't he? If it is so, you got over them. And he could be able to get over this. It's not impossible. But it greatly depends on both personalities, how they clash/match together, and LD now is like kryptonite for him. So you need to consider that too. The more you make it real and non LD, the more you have a chance with him. Provided he'll be willing to forgive all that happened.

• Like 1

at least u got to **** him! at least you were more than friends and werent just his friend.

i would give an arm and a leg to have what you had. i cant believe ur complaining when people have had it worse. i wonder how upset u would have been if you had been me

• Author
Starlight1234
at least u got to **** him! at least you were more than friends and werent just his friend.

i would give an arm and a leg to have what you had. i cant believe ur complaining when people have had it worse. i wonder how upset u would have been if you had been me

Well I guess that makes fighting with the man I care deeply about and think the world of absolutely OK then. I could loose a soulmate forever but that's alright.

Nevermind that I could miss out on getting to know a wonderful, intelligent, and special guy. At least I got to **** him, eh?

Okaaaay..... :confused:

i didnt even get to kiss her or be acknowledged as more than a friend so i guess ur luckier than me.

sorry to hear ur hurting.

• Author
Starlight1234
i didnt even get to kiss her or be acknowledged as more than a friend so i guess ur luckier than me.

sorry to hear ur hurting.

You know, sex isn't everything :) Even if we didn't sleep together I believe I would still miss him in the exact same way I'm feeling right now. I miss our conversations, his playfulness, his honesty, his smile.

Nevertheless, I'm sorry to hear your expectations/desires were not met. I'll have my fingers crossed you'll find what you're after in the not to distant future.

Cinderella27
Has anyone else been in a similar situation to me? Or perhaps and guys here could provide some thoughts from a male's perspective?

Thank you :)

I kinda am in the same situation:(

• Author
Starlight1234
I kinda am in the same situation:(

I'm sorry :(

I still haven't heard from him, even after sending him the text saying sorry. I don't think he cares :(

I have gone through all your journal as well your replies to the comments. I think you better give him some time to calm or settle with his family issues. There is one thing I experienced in my own life just be patient and give him some time to cool or settle with his own family issues. After some time ask him is everything okay between us. There you can see what is exactly issue is. But if I were you I am not deactivating FB profile or anything, I will be there active as usual but keep silence with him for a while.

In LDR most important thing is both parties need to have willingness to carry one, need to have communication, patients, trust between each other.

There is one thing you can do. Just go through your photos what you have uploaded ans see till when he liked things commented on things and see where he stopped commenting and likings. And see the photo on your eyes, if the photo that you stand near by a male friend? then that might be the case for his change, I am not saying that is the exactly case but it is possible, that he got the feeling that he might loose you at the end. If you have a relationship and he lives far away, you also need to be think twice before you upload photos just from the photos, it is honestly uncomfortable for the other party when specially living far. I experience my self that. It is not easy and at some point I stop commenting or liking photos from the guys I talked to that was the whole idea going back to your FB and go through the photos. And also you can apologize for what you have said to him. but still there is a little possibility that he is having troubles with his own feelings.

He also went on to say I’m just a mess and I didn’t want any feelings to get involved.
that saying is very much familiar with people who is under depression counselings. I cannot say that he is suffering from it but it is well known phrase from that kind.And for that sort of people cannot deal with heavy tempered phrases or sayings, I don't think he mentioned about your feelings. Just give him some time. I hope the matter will solve soon.
  • Like 1
  • Author
Starlight1234
I have gone through all your journal as well your replies to the comments. I think you better give him some time to calm or settle with his family issues. There is one thing I experienced in my own life just be patient and give him some time to cool or settle with his own family issues. After some time ask him is everything okay between us. There you can see what is exactly issue is. But if I were you I am not deactivating FB profile or anything, I will be there active as usual but keep silence with him for a while.

In LDR most important thing is both parties need to have willingness to carry one, need to have communication, patients, trust between each other.

There is one thing you can do. Just go through your photos what you have uploaded ans see till when he liked things commented on things and see where he stopped commenting and likings. And see the photo on your eyes, if the photo that you stand near by a male friend? then that might be the case for his change, I am not saying that is the exactly case but it is possible, that he got the feeling that he might loose you at the end. If you have a relationship and he lives far away, you also need to be think twice before you upload photos just from the photos, it is honestly uncomfortable for the other party when specially living far. I experience my self that. It is not easy and at some point I stop commenting or liking photos from the guys I talked to that was the whole idea going back to your FB and go through the photos. And also you can apologize for what you have said to him. but still there is a little possibility that he is having troubles with his own feelings.

that saying is very much familiar with people who is under depression counselings. I cannot say that he is suffering from it but it is well known phrase from that kind.And for that sort of people cannot deal with heavy tempered phrases or sayings, I don't think he mentioned about your feelings. Just give him some time. I hope the matter will solve soon.

Hi Zeurich,

Thank you for taking the time to respond, I appreciate it.

I haven't been back in touch with him since the text message as I wanted to give him his space and not aggravate the situation any more. One thing I did do was draft an email apologising to him and importantly reach out to him. I haven't sent it, it's been sitting in draft for over a week, I'm not sure when would be a good time to send it or if I'll even send it at all and I'm also wondering whether I should reach out to him or let him reach out to me in his own time (if ever). But how long is too long and it's too late? I've been thinking about that a lot. I regret deactivating my FB, I feel that spurred him on block me completely. I really do wish I handled myself better in the moment I said those things and acted out that way.

And you might be right, perhaps my photos and updates made him feel some kind of way, I understand what you're saying. I would feel pangs of jealousy when he posted things also, I really should have been more conscious towards him :( and maybe I could pinpoint a particular status update or PM I sent him updating him about the things I'd been up to during my second trip. I didn't mean to be insensitive, not at all.

There are a couple of other thoughts I want to put out there, but I've got to dash to a job interview. I'll be back.

Thanks again, Zeurich :)

• Like 1
Hi Zeurich,

I haven't been back in touch with him since the text message as I wanted to give him his space and not aggravate the situation any more. One thing I did do was draft an email apologising to him and importantly reach out to him. I haven't sent it, it's been sitting in draft for over a week, I'm not sure when would be a good time to send it or if I'll even send it at all and I'm also wondering whether I should reach out to him or let him reach out to me in his own time (if ever). But how long is too long and it's too late? I've been thinking about that a lot. I regret deactivating my FB, I feel that spurred him on block me completely. I really do wish I handled myself better in the moment I said those things and acted out that way.

And you might be right, perhaps my photos and updates made him feel some kind of way, I understand what you're saying. I would feel pangs of jealousy when he posted things also, I really should have been more conscious towards him :( and maybe I could pinpoint a particular status update or PM I sent him updating him about the things I'd been up to during my second trip. I didn't mean to be insensitive, not at all.

There are a couple of other thoughts I want to put out there, but I've got to dash to a job interview. I'll be back.

First of all good luck with your job interview! apologize and let him know that you understand that your behavior hurt him, don't go with many reasoning keep it short and simple in good kind words . And see what happens. If you don't do that I don't think that he will reach you! men like to be pampered girl. :)

Hi Zeurich,

dont write an email apologising. he will probably be laughing with his friends while reading it

• Author
Starlight1234
dont write an email apologising. he will probably be laughing with his friends while reading it

He's a grown man not a teenager.