liking someone you met overseas - and wanting to meet again?

i met Y when i was in a bad place with an ex in another country i was travelling in. Y's an expat, and we shared stories about meeting people overseas etc and both of us said we'd never be in another LDR again, and both made it clear we weren't looking for anything.

we started hanging out - it was a nice distraction from the mess with the ex, though it became awkward at times because i knew he was someone i could fall deeply for - and i put up a wall between us to make sure it wouldn't happen because i wasn’t going to stay for long. even on the last night we both tried to make it not seem like a big deal, like it was just a holiday fling.

we've never said we wanted to be together or make things work - we've never even said we wanted to see it other again. all he said previously (after we said our last goodbyes, was that even though he didn't plan to, he now had a reason to visit my country in future) and i didn't think much of it at all.

however, over the past few months (i left in march), i've been thinking about him everyday. i can't get him out of my head, even when i meet other guys.

we don't text often - maybe every few days, sometimes we go a week without texting, and he has a really annoying habit of texting me, we’ll be having a convo and then suddenly, he’ll not reply me for a few days (yet he’ll update his fb etc), then pick it up again like nothing happened, or start a new convo with silly messages. i try not to take it personally because we have no status whatsoever. i don't text him again if he doesn't reply, or sometimes i'll just not reply and he'll text me again a few days later, or send me random silly snapchats (we don't sext, ever).

also, we had a conversation recently where i mentioned i still had a crush on him (this was a random act on my part) and he said he still liked me a lot too and found it amazing that he actually met someone he got along so well with. though i'm not sure if he said it because i told him i still had a crush and he didn't want me to feel bad.

but anyway, i feel like i want to see him again, but the conversation we had way back in march- about how he said he's not looking for a girl from another country etc makes me scared to bring it up.

i'm always travelling, and i wanted to bring up the idea of meeting up in another country towards the end of the year (he's leaving to another country soon and i wouldn't mind travelling just to spend like a week together because i'd go somewhere else anyway if i didn't meet him) but i'm afraid of rejection. i don't know what i want from this, it's not like i want a happily ever after with him, i just feel like i want to see him again, because i like him, and i can go wherever i want. yet i'm afraid if i ask him - he'll reject me or think i'm a crazy girl who's willing to fly anywhere just to hang out with him.

i've asked my friends, and different people have different opinions about it. some think he may still be interested in me because who bothers keeping in touch after so long on a -fairly- regular basis, but some think that he's just messaging me when he's bored and i should just drop it.

i know this is a really long post, but is that a good decision to even ask him whether he'd want to see me again at the end of the year? or are his actions just showing that he's just not that into me and just treating me as someone to text when he's bored and i should just move on? i hate that him not responding to me eats me up inside when we’re not even dating and some days i feel like simply texting him to just leave me alone so i can move on and not compare other guys to him.

• Author

oh, and the reason why i even want to see him again instead of just letting go (i hate LDRs) is also because i'm planning to move out of my country next year, and go live in his country (this is not because of him, it just so happens i've always planned my life this year, and i haven't told him either because it's not set in stone yet) but i feel like we might have a chance IF i did move. i've had LDRs twice before and i don't believe in them. but of course it might come across to him as i'm moving because of him and he has said anyone who moves for anyone is crazy and puts too much pressure on a rs (which i agree).