Me and girlfriend

Me and my girlfriend have been digging through long distance relationship for about a year, due to having been in the forces.

Anyways, we've tried everything on the road to sorting ourselves out, nothing has seemed to work apart from one thing which seems to steadily get us running.

Does anyone know of any other methods that can potentially grow us stronger together, seen as we only see eachother every other weekend?

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
Remove external link

Every other weekend is more than most LDR couples get to see each other, so count your blessings.

How often & how do you communicate when you are apart? If you can't work it out to be on line at the same time so you can Skype or Facetime, at least send each other sweet newsy e-mails. When I was in an LDR we used to send each other little trinkets when we did something unusual. For example, I live in the suburbs. If I went to the city, I'd send him a pencil or shot glass. It was a way to make the other part of the adventure.

• Author
Every other weekend is more than most LDR couples get to see each other, so count your blessings.

How often & how do you communicate when you are apart? If you can't work it out to be on line at the same time so you can Skype or Facetime, at least send each other sweet newsy e-mails. When I was in an LDR we used to send each other little trinkets when we did something unusual. For example, I live in the suburbs. If I went to the city, I'd send him a pencil or shot glass. It was a way to make the other part of the adventure.

It's easier said then done but I'm due to go on tour soon, which is about 8months - 1year and looking for help before I do as I don't plan on things going down the drain.

Erm, we communicate via texts but very rarely due to work etc..

Most military organizations have counselors & workshops on base to teach you how to deal with deployment. Use one.

that said, there is a reason many relationships do not survive deployment

thank you for your service & be safe.

As I said, when you have some down time, write her sweet, newsy letters. Send them electronically & via snail mail to show you are thinking about her.

we've tried everything on the road to sorting ourselves out, nothing has seemed to work apart from one thing which seems to steadily get us running.
Which is? Sorry, but I'm no mind reader.

Does anyone know of any other methods that can potentially grow us stronger together

What methods did you try so far?
  • Author
Which is? Sorry, but I'm no mind reader.

Does anyone know of any other methods that can potentially grow us stronger together

What methods did you try so far?

I did say but it got removed, a blog website.

As cheesy as it sounds, we're posting daily updates about ourselves on it and maybe silly pictures here and there.

I did say but it got removed, a blog website.
Oh yeah. Too many people self-promoting themselves these days, on youtube, on websites, on facebook, whatever. Even people asking for money to fund one's own trips...

As cheesy as it sounds, we're posting daily updates about ourselves on it and maybe silly pictures here and there.

Honestly, I don't get this. It looks like you only exist as a couple if you prove it to the world.

A blog is up there to be read by the world. I think couples should value their own privacy more. But that's just subjective, as you said it's working well for you.

You could have a cloud space where you can upload special letters for her, personal stuff, intimate thoughts. I don't think you want to share that with your (future) boss, relatives, inlaws, etc.

You could share an iTunes account where you put all the songs you like. She can rate your songs, you can rate her songs... And decide what is YOUR song as a couple.

Plan ahead for when you'll be away. Leave stuff in her house for her to find out randomly, like little funny/cheerful/loving notes... (in places only her is supposed to find).

Buy stuff that can be delivered on specific days.

Let her have things of you for when she misses you. Like a t-shirt you wore and has your smell, or a book you read and she can like, or something you're attached to. If you're getting deployed, write her a letter and send it through snail mail the day of your departure or the night before you leave. She will get it once you've left and she'll love it. She'll have something so fresh of you right before leaving and that she can keep.

I'm sure there's a lot more you could do, try things out and see what she likes the most and helps more to keep you connected.