Should I meet up with him in Europe?

Thegreatestthing

Okay so I met this American boy ,I'm Australian (online) and he is moving to Europe (holland) next month, and I was planning to go back to Europe soon probably to Budapest, and he wants to meet up in Budapest.

we would meet up in a busy public place and I've lived in Budapest so I know it pretty well,he is there in Europe for a year I would probably just stay a month or more.

it seems like a good idea ,I'm crazy about him and we Skype and talk everyday I've also sent pictures with signs with his name etc so he knows I'm me and he did the same.

So the distance would be me Australia,him holland unless I can somehow stay in Europe which I was actually planning to do before I met him.

Is this crazy? Any tips or suggestions?

What's the long term perspective? Sure you can go on a holiday in Europe and have a summer fling with someone you've met online. But that's not going to guarantee you a happy RS with him ever after. You can't stay in Europe for more than 90 days unless you obtain a work permit.

Other than that, let your family / close friends and the AUS embassy know where you are and when you intend to return. Make sure you know who you're dealing with.

as in

1. Why is he in Europe
  2. What immigration status will he have
  3. How does he feel about you
  4. What are his long term ideas of the two of you
  5. What is he doing (professionally, education)

And then make sure you're not in any way reliant on him. Money, money, money. addresses / phone numbers (of nearest embassy, travel agencies), places to stay, communications (either get a local SIM card or make sure you have an AUS plan that's affordable when you're communicating from Europe). Finally documents. In case things go south you don't want to be stuck with him in some back packer hotel in the Carpathian mountains, if you get my drift.

• Like 1

DELETED (you've already answered a question I had in your OP)

Edited by umirano

he might be chatting to you as a friend how do you know? he might just wanna spend time as a friend. it happened to me. i got fooled. also the girl flew in with her friend

Why not?

Now or never, go for it and just go with the flow, deal with things when it happen. Even thought it may go bad **** crazy but you will never know unless you try

Budapest is cool, got property there. Great place to meet. Király utca is buzzing in the summer.

If you are going to be there anyway, & you know the place well enough to be safe, it sounds like a great plan.

Since you don't really know each other having conducted all of your interactions to date over the internet, discuss expectations & sleeping arrangements before you get there.

I wouldn't consider relocating at this point just yet. Let's get through the 1st meeting before dragging immigration issues into everything.

• Author
Thegreatestthing

I absolutely love Kiraly utca

Budapest is cool, got property there. Great place to meet. Király utca is buzzing in the summer.
  • Author
Thegreatestthing

He has told me he's fallen for me many many times

he might be chatting to you as a friend how do you know? he might just wanna spend time as a friend. it happened to me. i got fooled. also the girl flew in with her friend
  • Author
Thegreatestthing

I know I can stay in Europe if I leave the schengen zone every three months,like if I go to Bulgaria for three months come back etc,that's my only option.

unless I study ,He is studying there.

He was really excited yesterday and sending me flights but I started to tell him to date girls nearby as I don't see how it can work long term.Anybody have a US-AUstralia ,AUstralia-EU long distance relationship work out.

Most long distance relationships don't work out, especially international. To work out, one of you has to be able to relocate to the other country, and to do so requires a visa or marriage - and how can you get to know someone well enough to make that decision responsibly, if you hardly ever really spend time together in person?

I do know of a couple of LDRs that did work, but they were older, established people with the resources and ability to travel to see each other enough to build a relationship that could last. She lived in New Jersey, and he lived in New Zealand, and he moved to the USA when they married.

Most long distance relationships don't work out

My friend got married a few weeks back. It was all over the place as both of them were constantly moving around world wide (he writing his PhD thesis and travelling for research, her travelling in her function as a humanitarian help provider). They did that for 5 years and some change. It's definitely possible, but age (= maturity) and a deep bond help. Nah.. scratch that. They're crucial.

Previously was in an Asia-EU LDR. Didn't work out, because he was from Netherlands and their immigration laws are strict as hell.

One thing i've learned, before you get into a LDR, check out the immigration laws.

If it looks "impossible" to relocate there, don't get into it.

I'm willing to move but the laws are stopping me.

He fell for someone else.