My first long distance relationship

Sponge_Cake

I met this guy on a forum...we were talking everyday for just over a month before we decided to meet.

We are both from the UK, but he lives in the North and I live in the South...it's around 4 hours apart, give or take.

Since the first meet up, we've seen each other 4 times - (so 5 altogether). The next time I see him is in just under 3 weeks time...every time we meet, it is wonderful and I feel so close to him, even though we haven't known each other that long. We talk every single day. Messages, text, phone calls, Skype...we love each other and are so similar in so many ways.

We have booked a week's holiday together for July...which will be nice. However, every time we leave each other I feel so sad and down during the two weeks post meet up. Then the week before we are due to meet again, the butterflies start and my excitement builds and everything seems worthwhile again...then the cycle starts again.

Is this normal?

Also, when do we talk about the future? Obviously if things progress one of us will have to move to the other...how do I bring this up without sounding too much, too soon?

d0nnivain

You have plenty of oportunities to talk in an LDR because really, that's all there is most days. Make the most of it.

I wouldn't ask about a joint future just yet but I would ask Qs about his vision for himself & share yours. You had some idea what you expected for your life before you met him. Discuss it.

• Like 1

Just curious can you tell us about how u first met and what were the arrangements etc? Would love to know your story

Hello Sponge_Cake, welcome to this forum.

First of all, 4 hrs apart without any seas or borders between you 2 and seeing each other every 3 weeks will make a lot of people here very envious (me included).

Yes, it is normal to feel so sad each time after saying goodbye. It is actually a good sign, it means you are invested in him. It would be far worse if you would be whistling the next day, would not have a care in the world and would hardly give him another thought. Missing someone is just part of loving someone. Make sure you decide on a date before you say goodbye so that you know exactly how long till you say hello again.

I think the holiday is a very good next step and the fact that you both so willingly decided to do that another very good sign that this has the potential of really going somewhere. I would not talk marriage and babies just yet but indeed follow donnivain's advice. Talk about your mutual expectations and see if those are just as compatible.

I am in a LDR with a UK man myself but I live in Holland plus we have 5 kids between us, which makes it a tad more complicated than yours. But I know of a UK couple who also met online, she in the North, him in the South, they made it and are married now (he went to live with her in the North).

Count yourself lucky you met this guy who seems to be so perfect for you and enjoy your journey together.

• Author
Sponge_Cake
Just curious can you tell us about how u first met and what were the arrangements etc? Would love to know your story

We first met online on a forum and then in reality in Manchester (the north of England) I travelled up to see him.

The arrangements were, he was to meet me off the train and we spent the day together, doing things that we had a mutual interest in.

Since then I've been up to the North and few times and he has come down to the South once.

The reason I've been up there more is because I get cheaper travel. I don't mind though. One of the times, we sort of met half way between our two places.