Is it possible to love someone I've never met?

Okay I know people have asked this question before but I want you to listen to my story and tell me if this is possible.

So I met a guy in a chat room and I just started talking to him because he was nice. We talked pretty much everyday and within a month we started saying we love eachother. I'm only 16 and he's 21. I live in Ohio and he lives in Korea...we have been together for 10 months now and I feel like I really love him and want to spend my life with him. We text and talk on the phone pretty much every day. We both have iPhones so we use FaceTime sometimes. We have had little fights before but he basically knows everything about me and has even talked to my friends and dad. I plan on moving to Korea eventually but I know I will have to wait a long time.

So can this work out? I've never felt this strongly about anyone before but I've been in other relationships.

ExpatInItaly

You said it yourself, you're only 16.

You've never met this person.

He lives on the other side of the world.

Continue the friendship if you like, but don't commit yourself. You have a lifetime of opportunities in front of you. Enjoy them while you're young.

Also, you said he knows pretty much everything about you. How much do you know about him?

GOD YES!!!!

I met my current partner online back in 2001. We chatted and emailed (online only. NO phone calls, no texts until later, and no videos or Skype or anything) for 6 months before meeting in person. It was WEIRD meeting and actually having to combine everything I knew with this real life person, but we visited back and forth for the next 5 months before she moved to my state to be with me. (same sex relationship) We’ve been living together now for almost 10 years. (we met not on a dating site or anything, by the way)

AND I also had an affair with a married man who I also met online on a songwriting forum back in 2010, and we got together in early 2011. We were together until December last year (2012), so almost 2 years together. We never met in person, as he lives in the US and I’m in Australia. We couldn’t ever visit (though we longed to and planned to) cause we both had other partners. Very complicated and a long story I won’t go into here.

But yes, of course you can truly love someone you’ve never met in person. In the case of my long term partner, we were lucky. Expecting or hoping for a proper real life relationship after ONLY having emails and online chats is fairly unrealistic and it’s very hard to find that.

In terms of my ex-married man, we had thousands of Youtube videos we did for each other, phone calls, texts, emails and online chats, so it was more of an accurate perception we had of each other.

Ultimately, everyone views things totally subjectively. It’s all we can do, because we can only really live in our own heads, you know? But online relationships give that a more extreme bent, because there’s not that other person right THERE to show in a much more accurate light who they really are, as opposed to you assuming or believing they’re a certain way because you perceive them to be from their words on the screen.

Having said all that, just go slow. If it’s meant to be, you’ve got a lot of time before having to make any decisions about your life. You’re only 16. First love is VERY intense and passionate. Online love can also tend to be extra intense because you’ve got this forced distance and added obstacles against you that normal face-to-face EASY relationships don’t have. I think that sort of intensifies and prolongs the “honeymoon period” to an extent.

It is more that you are allowing for the possibility of love. Saying or texting "I love you" means little more at this point. Until you actually meet in person it is no more real then seeing an advertisement for a product and wanting that make and model more so then any of their competitors. For the next few years while you should be learning about how to deal with others don't look yourself into a dream unless there are some cultural issues which prevent conventional dating. As for now depending upon your exact location it would be a crime for him to go beyond meeting you online.

• Author

I'm in Ohio so it wouldn't really be illegal but he's in the military right now so it's impossible for him to come here...and I will go to college in a year and a half so we have a while to wait..