Does anyone have any successful LDR stories?

americangirlfriend

americangirlfriend

So I've been seeing a lot of depressing LDR stories about how the distance was too much and the relationships have messy endings, but I want to hear one with a happy ending. I know it's possible; so does anyone out there have any successful LDR stories they can share??

What do you count as successful?

The couple move to be together, get married (or not), have children, lead a long and happy life together and eventually die of old age, still holding hands?

Or

The couple move to be together, get married (or not), have children, are very happy and, so far, are doing ok?

Or

The couple move to be together get married (or not), are very happy together and, so far, are doing ok?

Or

The couple continue LD for several years and, although they face the usual LDR struggles, they're making plans for their future together, are very happy and, so far, are doing ok?

Or

The couple haven't been LD for that long but are becoming committed to a long term future and, so far, are doing ok?

To me, all of these scenarios are 'successful' LDRs.

In a lot of ways LDRs are no different from ordinary relationships. The couple decides what works or doesn't work for them and they usually stay together for as long as it works for both of them. There is no magic formula to any relationship and no need to be depressed. If you are happy with your partner and you both want the same things, you'll make it work, somehow, some way.

There are examples of all of these types of successful LDR on LS. My guy and I are in the fourth group and doing very well.

Does that help? :)

Edit: Oops, sorry, I don't think there are any examples of the first scenario on LS - nobody who was LDR and has died of old age that is! :laugh:

There are, however, several examples of scenarios 2 to 5! :bunny:

Edited by LittleTiger
  • Like 2
miss_jaclynrae

I was married to a marine for 3 years, together for four. Made it through 2 deployments and weeks at a time of separation.

We are divorced now, but for many other reasons. The long distance part was never a problem.

For most people, the distance wasn't the problem but it served to highlight certain areas, i.e. emotional neediness, impatience, selfishness, not working as a team, etc.

• Like 1
So I've been seeing a lot of depressing LDR stories about how the distance was too much and the relationships have messy endings, but I want to hear one with a happy ending. I know it's possible; so does anyone out there have any successful LDR stories they can share??

My LDR went on for about a year and a half before all the paperwork was filed and she moved here to the US (which people still ask her why instead of me moving there). Part of the visa stipulation was for us to get married within 90 days of her arrival.

From LittleTiger's list we are currently option #3, hopefully soon moving up to option 2.

• Like 3

I definitely agree that LDR is only a magnifying glass to relationship problems (and benefits), not a problem in and of itself. The only purely-distance reason an LDR can't work is if the couple simply cannot work out the details of being together. A relationship cannot exist in perpetuity when the two people are separated. You *have* to at least work together to visit.

I believe I am in a successful LDR. We made the transition from in person to 1200 miles apart, and have survived this way for over eight months. We believe the LDR has acted as a magnifying glass for us by highlighting the issues we needed to work on and cementing our commitment to each other. Over the last eight months, we have grown closer, improved our communication, developed more productive fighting skills, and realized how very important we are to each other. In May we get to transition again, and I have complete confidence that we will do so successfully.

It can be done!

• Like 1