Is sending gifts/cards essential in a LDR?

It really hurts that my ex has NEVER sent me ANYTHING during our 1.5 year LDR. He ordered my birthday gift on Amazon, and trust me, it wasn't really that heart-felting when you open the box and see a typed message "Happy Birthday, wish you a prosperous year." I mean, seriously... That's all you have to say to your girlfriend!?

I get that my ex is quite shy in words, but I told him that I would be thrilled if I could get a hand-written card from him. I sent him stuff just because I know how happy he'd feel when you get a card so unexpectedly. The only thing he told me is that he expresses his feelings by contacting me every day. I get that, but still I wish he'd send me a card.. anything..

It just really hurts that he didn't even bother to get to the store, pick up a card and just mail it. It's so easy, and he knew how special it would make me feel. I know it's silly, but the fact that he never sent me anything just makes me sad and hurt. I'm still not over him so I still wonder why he never made the effort to do this.

Anybody having the same problems as me? I envy couples who send "care-packages" to each other, it would have made me so happy......

Allenpo123,

I've come to the conclusion that some people are"gifty" people and others just don't get it.

A former SO of mine was slated to work in another country for a couple of weeks. Due to mobile and computer communication issues we wouldn't be able to be in touch during that time. To give us both something to look forward to I suggested my SO send me some postcards.

I never received them UNTIL nearly a year later when my SO visited *me*. When unpacking, a comment to the effect was made: "Oh, here's the postcards you wanted."

Duh.

I'm not a postcard collector. I've visited to the same area/country my SO was working in so it wasn't as if I was unfamiliar with the sights.

The whole idea of using the postcards as a way for the two of us to keep in touch, let each other know we were in each others' thoughts/minds, and have a bit of fun was apparently was totally lost on my SO.

That may have been the case for yours as well.

Best,

TMichaels

A British guy I dated years ago was working in the Netherlands. For Valentine's Day I got an empty box. He had sent a bottle of champagne and it was confiscated by US Customs! So everyone needs to check the rules for shipping items abroad.