Insight on my pen pal and our "friendship"

I've been talking to my penpal for 2 months she's very shy but has been comfortable sending messages to me we have the sam interests and tastes so we have great conversations. We're both keen on the idea of meeting up we are from different countries but I brought up the idea of meeting and hanging out for a day or two and she was really great with the idea of that. well I have family in California and they'd like me to visit and I'm an hour away from her city where my family lives I'm in London England and i could be in California in April. She's 17 and im 24 but i see her as a good friend even though i have a slight crush. Her mom is kinda weird about me even being in California so seeing her so it could be unlikely but my penpal said maybe....she could work something out. Shes not very flirty in her messages although she contacted me first after reading my profile and seeing my photo in a penpal website. I think she's fond of me at least. Any opinions on whether she likes me ? when she's 18 and if we're still talking I'd definitely like to see if anything could blossom. Would you think its worth it pursuing this girl even though we're far away?

Edited by JMAY24
Too lengthy in previous post not relating to correct forum topic
She's 17 and im 24 ... Her mom is kinda weird about me even being in California

I know it seems like the perfect opportunity to see her being that you have family 1 hr away from where she lives. But you've only talked to her for 2 months, she's 17 and you are 24 ... I can see why her mother might be freaking out even if it is totally innocent!!! Wait until she's 18 to meet. You haven't been talking long and you are just friends right now anyways. Cultivate that friendship and if in a year from now you're still talking to her, make a visit to see those family members in California :)

• Like 3

Wait until she's 18. I personally have nothing against dating a girl that is younger than you, but in my experience there are some places in which it is more frowned upon than others and the US is one of those places (of course this is a generalization but this is what I can tell from my own experience and I don't mean 100% of the people are like that). I am sure her mother / parents would be more comfortable if you two met up once she's already 18 and once you guys have had more time to talk and see how things turn out.

• Like 2

My first thought was meet her when she's 18, just like the other 2 fellow posters. But, if you're going to Cali to meet up with your family and not to see her, then I would definitely pick the chance. You can just meet 1 day. Lunch somewhere so you get to talk, and then you can do something fun in the afternoon, like bowling. No movie. Nothing too romantic. Just public places to spend some time together and get to know her in person. After that you will know what she means to you and what you mean to her. Maybe you're going to be just friends. Your words give away how cautious you are about this. But just know that nothing is more of a turn off than a man with such mild enthusiasm... A word is enough to the wise. Good luck.