How to save my relationship?

hilldaniellexo

I'm going to try and make this as short as possible.

Background: My boyfriend (26) and I (21) have known each other for about 2.5 years. We met when we both worked together. Roughly about a year and a half ago he moved 2-2.5 hours away (depending on my driving that day haha) for a job, and the fact that all his friends live where he now lives. We started talking right before he moved. We ended up getting officially together about 7 months ago.

The Dilemma: So, my boyfriend still has strong feelings for me, but during the week when we don't see each other he says the emotional connection isn't there and he doesn't know if he wants to do this anymore.

During the weekends (every weekend for the most part) when we see each other he says it's great and that he's happy and excited to see me and everything. During the week our phone calls are the same old and routine and I don't blame him because they are getting boring.

Well we almost broke up this past weekend because of this issue. I almost left at 2 in the morning to come home because I asked if he wanted to be with me or not and he basically said no, he ended up stopping me and getting me to stay.

We talked and discussed us working it out and trying it for a bit longer. He knows that I love him, and he says that he could end up loving me but he's not sure. He doesn't want to hurt me or string me along where I'll just end up in heartbreak anyways.

I don't want to lose such a large person in my life who's not only my boyfriend but definitely my best friend. But now things are slightly awkward on my part and I just don't know what to do anymore. I don't want to lose him over something as small as a little bit of distance when I see him on the weekends. 2 hours means NOTHING to me, but apparently means a lot to him.

I need your advice and help on how to save this relationship. Our ONLY issue is distance, if we didn't have the distance between us I know we'd be perfectly fine. Please anything you have to help me prevent a breakup would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by hilldaniellexo

Can you guys Facetime or Skype a couple days during the week?

Does he have plans on moving back or you there or is this an indefinite LDR? I could see this getting old quick if there is no end in sight.

During the weekends (every weekend for the most part) when we see each other he says it's great and that he's happy and excited to see me and everything. During the week our phone calls are the same old and routine and I don't blame him because they are getting boring.

I'm not sure distance is really your only problem if you are both finding the phone calls boring after such a short time.:confused:

However, if you really want to keep going a bit longer, I think you'll find that Skype video will help you to stay more emotionally connected when you're not together.

Good luck!

• Like 1

In my experience, distance is never the real problem-- distance just magnifies underlying problems. If you want to fix your relationship you need to figure out why he has "strong feelings" for you but can't connect when you aren't in the room.