More tales of my romance; scheduling conflict creates desire to bend rules

I'm having a bit of a dilemma. Because of conflicting school schedules, there will only be one day on Easter break that I'll be able to see my Love. She wants to see the Passion of the Christ, because she knows her mom would let her take me to it. I'd rather not limit my only contact in a long while to spending hours watching her cry while Caveziel is savagely beaten. During the battle for the estate of my biological father, one of my attorneys had a family friend who worked at a very nice restauraunt in town, and who gave my mom a coupon for a free entree, which, due to expiration dates, won't be able to be used any time but the day we'll see each other. It's not that I can't swing the expense of taking her out to dinner, but rather that I have something nice, and would love to share it with her.

Her father, in the proccess of raising a large family of girls, has decided that with the problems that came of having the eldest date at a young age, no subsequent daughter of his would date until her sixteenth birthday, which, by one, includes the girl that I Love. We've slipped around it to go to movies, and I'd consider myself in relatively good parental favor. She thinks that me taking her out to dinner would never get past her dad. Our night in question is less than two months away from her sixteenth birthday, we're talking about a technicality of numerics here. My intentions are innocent and chaste, and any transfer of affection would be in reverent anticipation of the future, rather than the sly withdrawal of instant gratification. I probably won't even eat the food.

I'm terrified of her father. Not because he's paticularly threatening, just because of the role he has in her life. My first impulse was to simply ask him for special permission, explaining my respect, and even, due to the fact that I rarely see her, appreciation of his dating rule, but still asserting my desire to do it--but the more I think about it, the more scared it makes me. Would this be a positive response? Should I not bother, and wait out the few months? What would you do if you were me? Her parents?

I think he'd be impressed you had the gumption and decency to ask first. The worst he can do is say 'no', which, admittedly, would be disappointing - but nothing ventured, nothing gained, after all.

i agree. you are clearly a stand up guy; your asking for permission would demonstrate that admirably. take the chance, as long as it is agreeable to your SO.

You didn’t really mention your age. But as a mother of both a daughter and a son, I would respect the courage that you would show by respecting my wishes and speaking to me directly. I would prefer that you spend time with her at my home and allow me to really get to know you. And then maybe on future trips allow outings. Sorry you wanted a honest answer right? However if you have spent a substantial amount of time around the family then I would probably be okay with it. Remeber presentation is everything, GOOD LUCK! :love:

Go for it D'yer. If I were her parent, I'd let her go. I hate to see my kids unhappy and I love to see my kids hanging out with good kids.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Author

The issue has resolved itself, unfortunately.