need help with UK immigration

BoredandJaded

Ok heres the story so far lol:-

My boyfriend lives in VT, I live in England. I'm legally married (but separated for a while now). He wants to come here to live with me and my kids (I cant move to the states cos of my ex wanting access visits with his kids). To divorce my ex will take about 6 months (longer if he wants to be difficult). Immigration law here is complicated and we're struggling to find a way he can move here. All I've gotten so far is a huge headache and a feeling of helplessness.

If you know anything about this stuff, or know of someone that might be able to help us, please reply.

Thank you in advance

Well as for legal advice you might want to invest in a good immigration lawyer - it is difficult to get a visa for the UK but not impossible, it really does depend on your boyfriends situation, qualifications etc as well as the type of visa he's looking for.

A good site to read is: http://www.britishexpats.com/forum which has on line experts and lots of practical advice on this matter.

I must ask though, have you met your partner in the flesh or is this an 'on line' love affair? I'm sure you've considered the possible pitfalls and dangers of taking on too much too soon as far as cyber romance is concerned. If you are looking to apply for a fiancé or a spouce visa after your divorce the authorities will expect legal proof that you have an ongoing and well established relationship and with your marriage barely six months behind you and children involved please be very cautious of committing yourself to anything before you have had time to recover from you impending divorce.

Maybe he can get a tourist or (depending on his age) student visa. Maybe someone can sponcer him or his company can transere him. Whatever you do one: take your time and don't commit yourself, your time, your children or your money before you are absolutely sure it is safe and beneficial to do so and as I said, get legal advice on the routes that are open to you both.

Be careful and think with your head not your heart there are some great cyber/long distance success stories out there but they are far outweighed by the horror stories. Don't become another 'she should have seen it coming'. Think smart.

Good luck

R

• Author
BoredandJaded

thx for the reply Reckless :)

Yes we've met in the flesh - I wouldnt make these kind of plans purely from an online romance - heard too many stories of how badly it can go wrong

we've looked at the visitors visa, but he wouldnt be able to work and he wont have me paying for everything - he insists on getting a job as soon as possible

student visa would allow him to work part time, but he'd have to pay for the course and they cost a lot

havent looked into sponsors yet - will do that next :)

ty for the link - site looks like it might be useful

Jaded