Increasing the chances of getting back with LDR when he moves back home

Here is my scenario:

http://www.loveshack.org/forums/t111320/

Basically I met a wonderful guy and we had a great relationship for 2 months but I was aware he was looking for work overseas. He didn't want to continue the relationship when he moved (which was probably smart) but I'm still in love with him.

It's been a few days since he arrived overseas and even though I know we can't be together now, I know that I'll always want to be with him even years down the track. What are some of the things I can do to maximise my chances with him from now until when he decides to come back? He could be there for 2-5 years.

I'm thinking that I just need to stay in his circle of friends in our home country and in that way I'll always be 'in his life'. I'm already still in contact with a good friend of his but they stopped talking to each other just before he left. He does have another best friend but we don't have any excuse to exchange numbers. Would it be strange to try and become friends with this guy? Would he take it the wrong way, like now I'm going for the next best thing?

Suggestions?

Sweetie2007

He didn't want to continue the relationship when he moved (which was probably smart) but I'm still in love with him.

. What are some of the things I can do to maximise my chances with him from now until when he decides to come back? He could be there for 2-5 years.

Suggestions?

Did not continuing the relationship, mean NC?

Does he have access to email/internet? If he does, you could simply email him...just casually, not like overly-obsessive or anything. Email and say hi, tell him that you miss him, maybe, or that you miss something you used to do together...like if you always went to the movies, or to one special restaurant, write something like "i really miss going to ____ with you, i can't wait until your back and we can get together again!" .... and then see if he replies, if he does, that's a good causal way to stay friends, and in touch, and to make sure he doesn't forget about you.

You could also get his address where he's staying over there, to send him x-mas, b-day, hell, martin luther king b-day, cards.. just anything, but not TOO much, ya know? so he doesn't forget about you. I think if you meant as much to him as it sounds like he does to you, then he wouldn't forget about you anyway... just try it, and see what happens... good luck!