Any harm in engaging a catfish?

Clarence_Boddicker

I'm dipping my toe in OLD after my last real relationship ended 1 & 1/2 years ago. I waited this long to be absolutely sure I was over my ex & to really think about what I'm looking for & the mistakes I made in dating my ex & staying as long as I did with her.

I got catfished the other day, but I haven't confronted her/him about the obvious inconsistencies. I'm actually fine with playing along as it's not too intrusive & can be a welcome brief distraction from my mostly solitary & very boring work. I also believe that you can learn something from almost anyone. Even though this person is obviously fake, they are still human.

I not worried about getting scammed or revealing personal identifying information, because I'm not going to do that under any circumstances. I am worried about two things though.

The first is the possibility that I'm communicating with a minor. That's not a big concern, as I did ask this person's age at the start & I'm not going to get involved in any inappropriate conversions like anything sexual or running away. No inappropriate pics either. They initiated things & I'm saving everything.

My second and bigger concern is causing this person emotional or mental harm. They are already on shaky ground IMO by catfishing people. Will I contribute to their issues by playing along with their deception? I'm not going to mess with them, get into conflict or lead them on by saying stuff like I love you. The most I'll say along those lines are something like: You seem to be a (beautiful/caring/cute/nice/sweet,etc) person. I view it as just a harmless ego boost for them. I imagine that they will get bored & leave soon enough, because I'm not going to go too far with it. Am I missing something?

What's the reason people catfish? I'd imagine stuff like low self esteem, loneliness or a perverse sense of fun.

This is a funny thread title when read literally. :laugh:

Seems like a bad idea in general to me, CB.

• Like 2
GorillaTheater

I dunno man, seems like a waste of time.

Of course, I like engaging with the trolls here, so I'm a fine one to talk.

If you're not worried about causing harm, then tell them you know, but keep talking to them. If you're not romantically interested, tell them that, too. They may just want someone to talk to.

• Author
Clarence_Boddicker
What is a catfish?

Someone who claims they are something they are not, in order to start an online relationship. Usually it's lying about their age, relationship status or weight.

This is a funny thread title when read literally. :laugh:

Seems like a bad idea in general to me, CB.

Yeah, it's probably messed up to get someone's hopes up even subconsciously & due to their deception.

Did you send a penis pic? I hear catfish love penis pics.

I'll send National Geographic links for every penis there is in the animal world, except for human, which probably be a crime if they're a minor.

If you're not worried about causing harm, then tell them you know, but keep talking to them. If you're not romantically interested, tell them that, too. They may just want someone to talk to.

No, I don't want to hurt their feelings or make them feel bad. I don't know if I'm interested in them because I have no idea who they are or what they really look like. I fine with just talking, although that would be awkward if they are a minor.

PrettyEmily77

Seems a bit pointless, TBH. Granted you have nothing to lose (apart from your time and theirs), but then again you have nothing to gain either.

• Like 1