Gym Approach- did I mess up or could she still be interested?

Hi everyone,

There's this girl that I've seen around in my gym for the last month or so- she's really hot and we've been sharing eye contact for weeks so I know that she finds me attractive.

Last week, I was working out and she came to the machine next to me, I looked at her and gave her a smile and she looked down and smiled bashfully. This week however, I decided to make a move so I saw her tonight, she came to workout near me and we met eyes, I said hi and she did the whole smile and looking down bashfully again. So I bit the bullet and proceeded to talk to her and I just sort of stood by her for a second and then just made small talk, like: Hey, I see you all the time, are you any good on the weights? Do you have any goals? Etc,

It was only a short conversation- about 30 seconds long. I was a bit nervous and she seemed shy too so it definitely felt a bit awkward. I really lacked any 'game'.

I then said I'd get back to my workout and she continued to tell me something about her workout as I started walking away, so.... I'm hoping that might mean she IS interested.

I'm a rather reserved person and although I would say I am a confident person with a good sense of humour and I am confident after getting to know someone a little, but I'm not confident when It comes to talking to women I'm attracted to. So the fact that I plucked up the nerve to talk to her is a big deal for me! She not long long after moved to another part of the gym and then left the gym 5 minutes later, so I naturally assumed I might have freaked her out and she wanted to escape..

She seems like a cool, popular girl and I'm wondering If the slight awkwardness killed my chances?

Also, what should I do next time?

You're fine. In a gym 1st you have to establish a level of trust which happens through these smiles & short conversations. Keep doing this for a while . . . maybe a week or so. Lengthen the conversation each time & try to find a reason to move closer -- spot her, hand her a towel, something.

Next week, ask her if she'd like to get a drink after your workout.