Does he like me or my best friend?

RosemaryRueViolets

I just started grad school, so I'm currently meeting all new people and trying to feel them out. There's one girl in particular who I've really bonded with! She's great :) There's a little issue though... I THINK we might both like the same guy, who's also on our research team. She shares a desk with him and so they both get that chance to talk and bond. Originally, I thought he liked me because he'd always look over at me and would be listening to my conversation with my friends and then randomly pipe in and say something to me. This past week, HOWEVER, he's started to majorly flirt with my friend. He still looks over at me, but doesn't really try to engage in any conversation. The only thing he said to me was a sarcastic reply to a question I asked my friend.

Anyway, what's happening here? I know I'm reading into it a lot, hahaha, but I just want to know what's going on. If he DOES like my friend then that's okay! I might be a little disappointed, but there's gotta be someone else out there ;) Also, what do you think my next move should be if he MIGHT be interested in me?

I appreciate any and all advice!