signs of alcoholism? new bf...

I have been dating this guy for about a month and a half. I have never seen this guy when he is sober. The first time we went out, it was to a company party, and he had a few drinks. I thought nothing of it because I figured it was a party so a few drinks were ok.

Well we talk pretty much every day and see eachother two or three times a week. Every time I have gone to his house he has started off on his usual Bourbon and water. By the time I get there, he has already had a few and then he has at least five or six more. I am confused as to whether or not he has a drinking problem...

When i dont see him and i talk to him on the phone, he mentions that he has had a few drinks since he got home. I think "a few" is putting it modestly.

I really like this guy, but im afraid that this is an early warning sign. I know that he recently went through a divorce and maybe that is why he has been drinking so much, but I dont know what to think of it.

Does anyone know some signs I should be looking for that he could have a drinking problem??

I think you've got loads of signs that this guy has a drinking problem. Call your local Alcoholics Anonymous chapter or go to their website for more information. They won't draw pictures for you but they will tell you your honey has got problems with hair on them.

This is a good website to start: http://wy.essortment.com/alcoholismsympt_rcpn.htm It has a lot of the information that you seek. Otherwise use a good search engine and put "symptoms of alcholism" in the search field. Read 'til you drop!

Originally posted by aliciab68

Well we talk pretty much every day and see each other two or three times a week. Every time I have gone to his house he has started off on his usual Bourbon and water. By the time I get there, he has already had a few and then he has at least five or six more. I am confused as to whether or not he has a drinking problem...

When i dont see him and i talk to him on the phone, he mentions that he has had a few drinks since he got home. I think "a few" is putting it modestly.

I think you answered your own question Alicia.

Then again, alcoholism is relevant. It just depends on how someone lives their life. I know LOTS of people who start drinking right after work day after day. It doesn't seem to affect their work or make them "less than". It's just what they do.

I happen to take MY beer pretty seriously...so,it wouldn't bother me so much for a guy to drink heavily. If it bothers you though.... you'll have to speak with him about it. He may be willing to curb his habit or seek some outside help. If not, you'll have to really decide if this relationship is right for you.