Conservatives, authoritarians, drama and affairs!

Fascinating remarks from a researcher:

I don't know any place where the risk is low. When I was doing research for my dissertation, I went to the Baltimore-Washington airport and to an office park and gave out questionnaires. I'd go up to the men, quite imposing in their pinstripe suits and starched collars, and ask if they'd complete an anonymous research questionnaire on marriage.

I was stunned when the forms came back; so many of the men who had looked so conservative had engaged in extramarital sex. It is now known that, while we suspect the liberals, conservative men are actually more likely to be having extramarital affairs--because they split sex and affection. There are the nice girls you marry and the wild girls you have sex with.

The double standard is alive and well.

Men who score high on traits of authoritarianism are more likely to separate sex and affection than men who are low in authoritarianism. Military officers fall into this category.

People in high-drama professions-among doctors, those in the ER, trauma surgeons, cardiologists--engage in a certain amount of living on the edge that is associated with affairs. Certainly, being in the entertainment business is a risk; there's a lot of glamour, and people are away from home a lot. Often you're in a make-believe world with another person.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/htdocs/prod/PTOArticle/PTO-19980701-000026.ASP

That was such an interesting quote: "Nice girls you marry and wild girls you have sex with". That is soooo true. I had a male roomate who had several girlfriends and was upset when one of them cheated on him. I asked him why he was upset, considering he was cheating on all of them. He said, "Because I am the man. I want to make sure they are only sleeping with me."

Men want to make sure they have the woman at home to cook and clean and sleep with them. Men claim that they need a little diversion.

If a man cheats people think it's only natural. If a woman cheats she's a whore.

"It's a man's world. Not because it should be, but because we let them have it." --Xena, warrior princess.

I think this only shows how much we should stick up for each other and put our petty squabbles behind us.

I don't know if conservatives are having more affairs than liberals but I certainly wouldn't base my opinion on the text you've provided Moimeme. The men who "looked conservative"? So now science is basing political affiliation on looks?

And was the same questionaire given out to men who "looked liberal" and why are men singled out in this study? Wouldn't the researcher want to know too if conservative women were having more affairs than liberal women.

This text smacks of liberal propaganda to me as it attempts to portray conservatives as hypocritical, i.e. they profess a love of family values but screw around a lot on the side.

Gotta go. My mistress is waiting impatiently.

It was just A survey. She didn't say it was the only survey in the world and we all have to bow down to it or anything. I am sure if you check it out you will find many surveys on this subject. She just picked on that was interesting to her.

• Author
smacks of liberal propaganda

Golly, what a conservative, militaristic remark ;)

I always post sources. People are meant to go read the entire articles, not just the excerpts. I put up the excerpts to convey a sense of the content of the article but copyright rules forbid posting entire articles. I trust the readers will not consider the few lines I post to be the entire article.

Callisto. I believe that items are posted for others to comment on. Moimeme's posting caused me to think and to generate and post an opinion on it. I realize she did not request opinions but I think it was okay for me to offer mine anyway. Just as it's okay for you to offer your opinion on my posting. Pax vobiscum.

OK, Moimeme, I take your point. In the future before commenting on excerpts I will first read the article provided in the site address.

I can't read the full article now though because I'm busy downloading racy pics of Ann Coulter.

moimeme

What is a conservative look? What is a liberal look?

If a guy looks conservative, does that make him conservative? All of the democrat presidential candidates wear expensive suits.

I went to the Baltimore-Washington airport and to an office park and gave out questionnaires
Do you think this was random sampling? How many garbage men, custodians, construction workers, and mechanics were in the sample? Not very scientific.

Authoritarianism… That applies to both liberal and conservative politicians.

I’m disappointed. You seem to be taking things at face value.

Nice girls you marry and wild girls you have sex with
That depends on the guy. Women like to accessorize, and I think the wilder guys are more fashionable.

"It's a man's world. Not because it should be, but because we let them have it." --Xena, warrior princess.
Baloney!

Xena is one of the shallowest sitcoms. Too cheesy…

I’m feeling hungry.

Clancy

Don’t waste your time.

Military officers fall into this category.

Oh my GOSH....I thought this was a secret only known in the Officer's Club!!! DAMMIT....caught again!

LMAO!